The General Election in the United Kingdom

20 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Should obviously and provably corrupt politicians have eggs, rotten fruit and milkshakes thrown at them?  100% yes, they should be publicly shamed and their activities highlighted for all to see.

So you’re advocating unprovoked assault?

And who gets to decide if a particular politician is “obviously and provably corrupt “?

If it can be proven they are corrupt then there are channels to deal with that.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

@The Voice of Reason seeing you have brought up the waste of space that is Farage, I can't help but notice you have been silent on his comments on Rishi Sunak.

Farage said that Sunak, "doesn't really care about our history, he doesn't really care - frankly - about our culture".  

He has subsequently tried to argue he was talking about his class.  Does that also mean that the King and other wealthy British people do not care about "our culture" and "our history"? 

Farage even pointed to Winchester, Oxford, Goldman Sachs which seems a little odd seeing that Farage is the son of a Stockbroker, attended Dulwich College and worked in the City of London himself.

So, maybe you can explain, exactly why Farage thinks that Sunak does not get "our culture"?

24 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@The Voice of Reason seeing you have brought up the waste of space that is Farage, I can't help but notice you have been silent on his comments on Rishi Sunak.

Farage said that Sunak, "doesn't really care about our history, he doesn't really care - frankly - about our culture".  

He has subsequently tried to argue he was talking about his class.  Does that also mean that the King and other wealthy British people do not care about "our culture" and "our history"? 

Farage even pointed to Winchester, Oxford, Goldman Sachs which seems a little odd seeing that Farage is the son of a Stockbroker, attended Dulwich College and worked in the City of London himself.

So, maybe you can explain, exactly why Farage thinks that Sunak does not get "our culture"?

Why do you think I am some sort of spokesperson for Farage just because I brought up the attack on him for discussion?

I have no idea of why Farage may have said that and therefore cannot explain

For what it’s worth I think it was a silly thing to say. 

Are there any other politicians whose minds you think I can read?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, P.K. said:

I am particularly concerned by the actions of Sunak and Mordaunt,

In the head-to-head with Starmer way behind in the polls Sunak trotted out a load of nonsense that “independent Treasury officials” had costed Labour’s policies “and they amount to a £2,000 tax rise for everyone” or some such drivel. Starmer was so shocked at such blatant lying on national television that Sunak managed to repeat the same false claim something like a dozen times before he properly responded! Probably because the Treasury’s top mandarin – James Bowler – wrote to Darren Jones, the shadow chief secretary – making it clear the £2,000 figure “should not be presented as having been produced by the civil service” the day before the ITV debate!

So Sunak had been caught bang to rights telling porkies on national tv. Not a good start for the tory "campaign" was it...?

Fast forward to the next "debate" with Penny Mordaunt and Angela Rayner on the same platform. Unbelievably, to me at any rate, Mordaunt started spouting the same debunked nonsensical lies as Sunak had only days earlier! Not only did Rayner point out it was pure bollox but the BBC One host, Mishal Husain, also told Mordaunt to sling her hook as well!

I was left trying to figure out why Sunak and Mordaunt would get up on their hind legs and essentially make such fools of themselves by both blatantly lying on national tv?

I am forced to conclude that they had realised that if totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson could tell such blatant lies about brexit and get away with it then if told often enough blatant lies could get the terminally stupid members of the electorate to believe them and actually vote against reality!

If so UK politics, but more particularly tory politicians, have sunk to a new nadir.

If such a thing were possible that is...

All of the figures that all of the parties are quoting for tax rises, savings, loophole closures are bullshit and based on guestimates from incomplete data.  Considering the level of UK debt and falling short of services, I think it's pretty clear that taxes are going to have to go up not down.  There is no other way to balance the books apart from massive cuts to govt and services, which lets face it, isn't going to happen.  That is the biggest lie. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why do you think I am some sort of spokesperson for Farage just because I brought up the attack on him for discussion?

You seem to follow Farage closely and align in many respects politically.  I therefore thought you may have a view.

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I have no idea of why Farage may have said that and therefore cannot explain

For what it’s worth I think it was a silly thing to say. 

Why do you think it was silly?

Whilst on the subject of the Reform party, I see Lee Anderson is asking people do they want their country back.  Does anyone know who has the country at present?  I thought Brexit meant we had "taken back control"?

Edited by manxman1980

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

All of the figures that all of the parties are quoting for tax rises, savings, loophole closures are bullshit and based on guestimates from incomplete data.  Considering the level of UK debt and falling short of services, I think it's pretty clear that taxes are going to have to go up not down.  There is no other way to balance the books apart from massive cuts to govt and services, which lets face it, isn't going to happen.  That is the biggest lie. 

Unfortunately Dave and Gideon's "austerity" measures have hollowed out a lot of UK public services and they also pushed others down to local authorities. Basically there's not a lot left to cut.

"A new government will inherit taxes at record levels for the UK (though still low-to-middling by European standards); living standards that have endured a record-long stagnation; and public services – health, local government, prisons, the justice system – that are visibly struggling, and performing less well than they were back in 2010. Yet current spending plans imply further cuts for most public services other than health."

https://ifs.org.uk/news/next-government-will-face-some-toughest-choices-generations

51 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

You seem to follow Farage closely and align in many respects politically.  I therefore thought you may have a view.

I follow politics closely.

Barring our shared enthusiasm for regaining sovereignty via Brexit I can’t really think of any other  issues on which Farage and I align politically.

Certainly his views on immigration I find distasteful.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Slight amendment to middle para

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

A coffee cup was one of  two objects thrown at Farage by this person.

The consensus seems to be that that the other object was wet cement ( builders rubble)

Wet cement is not rubble.

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Er, Because I don’t believe it to be true perhaps?

Okay, that's fine.

My view is that Farage was being openly racist because Sunak is a second generation immigrant and has brown skin.  When he refers to "our history" and "our culture" what else could he be referring too?  Farage now, as I stated earlier, claims that it is Sunak's class, wealth and privilege which means he does not understand it. 

If that is true then surely King Charles, Prince William, Richard Tice and many more wealthy people should also fall within that category.  I somehow doubt that is what he meant.

Farage is once again engaged in populist politics and is happy to drop comments that are potentially inflammatory and that will embolden more extremists to take action (whether politically or through other means).  Farage does not give a toss whether what he says is factual or makes any sense upon closer examination as he knows that "his people" will lap it up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Okay, that's fine.

My view is that Farage was being openly racist because Sunak is a second generation immigrant and has brown skin.  When he refers to "our history" and "our culture" what else could he be referring too?  Farage now, as I stated earlier, claims that it is Sunak's class, wealth and privilege which means he does not understand it. 

If that is true then surely King Charles, Prince William, Richard Tice and many more wealthy people should also fall within that category.  I somehow doubt that is what he meant.

Farage is once again engaged in populist politics and is happy to drop comments that are potentially inflammatory and that will embolden more extremists to take action (whether politically or through other means).  Farage does not give a toss whether what he says is factual or makes any sense upon closer examination as he knows that "his people" will lap it up.

Yes that’s fair comment.

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Whilst on the subject of the Reform party, I see Lee Anderson is asking people do they want their country back.  Does anyone know who has the country at present?  I thought Brexit meant we had "taken back control"?

Its the same bullshit as MAGA, and when asked about when America was great, they tend to go a bit quiet because they can't say out loud the bit they really want to say.

This also ties in to the steps to fascism.  The enemy is both uber powerful and will crush us if we let it, but at the same time weak allowing it to be ridiculed and defeated by "the right people".

Text book play by Anderson, the right and Reform.  

The problem being its the exact same people who self harmed themselves by continually voting Tory and for Brexit that will buy into this empty slogan-ism.

46 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Okay, that's fine.

Farage is a human dog whistle.

His "every man, working class hero, pint down the pub" con is obvious to anyone with a brain, hence why he is popular with certain demographics.