The General Election in the United Kingdom

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I don’t know what sort of school you went to.

I thought mine was a bit harsh, but blimey

The school I went to did not use capital punishment (there were the occasional board dusters thrown around or marker pens).  I went to school after such punishments were banned in law.

Once again though you are entirely missing my point.  

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

The school I went to did not use capital punishment (there were the occasional board dusters thrown around or marker pens).  I went to school after such punishments were banned in law.

Once again though you are entirely missing my point.  

No I fancy you are missing my point. 

Are you familiar with the definition of “capital punishment “?

Suggest you Google it

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Would you like me to point you to the repeated calls from older generations that the younger generations are "out of control", "pretending be cats/dogs" or <<insert favourite criticism of the young here>> and that a good beating would do them the world of good?  

It is entirely feasible that capital punishment would still exist in the UK school system without outside influence.  

Well I don’t know what sort of school you went to.

I thought mine was a bit harsh, but blimey

It’s one way of permanently reducing classroom size.

Plus beatings of the fags by the prefects. (Tells us  all we need to know about Tory boys.)

• Haha 1

No I fancy you are missing my point. 

Are you familiar with the definition of “capital punishment “?

Suggest you Google it

That's what comes of replying in a hurry whilst I was also going to comment that there are often calls for the return of capital punishment in the UK.  I decided not to include that in my reply as that is a different issue, although still linked to Human Rights.  

As you are well aware, and more than capable of working out, was that I was referring to was corporal punishment. 

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

As you are well aware, and more than capable of working out, was that I was referring to was corporal punishment. 

Well I’m not sure that I am that capable.
Your mate Barney was asking whether I am, “thick or what ?”

But yes I knew what you meant to say, I was just being jocular 

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Would you like me to point you to the repeated calls from older generations that the younger generations are "out of control", "pretending be cats/dogs" or <<insert favourite criticism of the young here>> and that a good beating would do them the world of good?  

I wouldn’t be averse to these little git’s getting a beating whether or not it did them the world of good.

Glass bottles thrown at emergency services at post-exam party

Wednesday, 19 June 2024 07:30

90065-1.jpg

Police warning after incident at Happy Valley

Police are urging parents to make sure they know where their children are when they're out following an incident at the weekend which saw glass bottles being thrown at emergency service workers.

On Friday night (14 June) around 50-60 youngsters were at a post-exam gathering at Happy Valley, near Port Jack in Onchan, when reports were received of drunk and disorderly behaviour.

Some children needed medical attention but paramedics found themselves under fire when they arrived on scene.

With more parties planned around the Island Inspector Charles Maloney says bad behaviour won't be tolerated - warning it could lead to a criminal conviction:

Edited by The Voice of Reason

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The recent polling is pretty wild, everything looking a bit like this. It can't happen, can it?

I think it can. Apart from the Lib Dems bit. Nothing they have done suggests to me they will increase their seats anything like that. If anything I would expect them to get less ( but I’m not a professional pollster)

4 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No mate of mine.  There are a lot of things that I disagree with him about.  We just happen to be aligned on Brexit. 

I think it can. Apart from the Lib Dems bit. Nothing they have done suggests to me they will increase their seats anything like that. If anything I would expect them to get less ( but I’m not a professional pollster)

I looked at the detail on the yougov MRP poll (which isn't quite as bad for the Torys as the one Teapot posted) and it looked like in the South West there were two reasons for this -

• Tory centerists moving to Lib Dems
  • Tory rightists moving to Reform

What I've noticed it seems that Sunaks been left to campaign on his own. Where's Boris, Truss, May, Cameron, Rees-Mogg, Mordant, Gove, Patel, Braverman and the rest?

Shapps and Hunt have made one contribution, which was to say "it would be best if Labour didn't get too big a majority." And that's about the only decent reason for voting Tory. I kind of expect some people currently saying they'll vote Lib Dem or Reform and a few don't knows will return to the Tory fold.

5 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

@The Voice of Reason

Quite rightly as well.

Your assertion that Matt Chorley wouldn't want to double his audience to O'Briens level was very " unclever" shall we say.

Surely you agree...?

14 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

This is hilarious.

You were out of your depth getting into that thread and after getting utterly schooled, all you could come back with was "OK".

I think deep down you don't believe that "sovereignty" BS anymore than Woolley does, its just that you are so deep down the performative hole that you can't admit now for fear of looking a wally.

Of course @The Voice of Reason wasn't schooled. He is correct in the assertion he made. The response from @John Wright on the other hand was risible. I suspect that the response of "OK", was an indication that the quoted posts were simply too ridiculous even to pass comment on.

As for your assumed insight about my beliefs, I suggest that you are the wally.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Of course @The Voice of Reason wasn't schooled. He is correct in the assertion he made. The response from @John Wright on the other hand was risible. I suspect that the response of "OK", was an indication that the quoted posts were simply too ridiculous even to pass comment on.

As for your assumed insight about my beliefs, I suggest that you are the wally.

You’re quite right. The “ OK “ response was just acknowledging that JW was confirming his earlier statement  which I think was nonsense . I’ve learnt ( and many others have) long ago that he will argue that black is white and won’t shift from that position ( bless him) So there is little point arguing with him into the wee small hours when you want to go to bed. Hence  “ Ok”