The General Election in the United Kingdom

6 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Any Telegraph subscribers able to confirm this as genuine? Amazing if it is. 

Oh here we fucking go..

racist!

Russia!

racist!

Russia!

"I'm so morally superior"

"oooh look how edgy I am"

*yawn*

I'm indifferent to Farage so not fussed either way, but fuck me it's boring hearing the same shit over and over. Anytime someone doesn't tow the party line (we've had one uniparty in the UK for decades, and in the US) all we hear is blabbering nonsense about russia, racism, being a nazi/homophobe blah blah or some other nonsense. It's the same with Trump in the US, people losing their minds.

Political discourse is being reduced to nothing more than memes and cartoons.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Edited by HeteroErectus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeteroErectus said:

Oh here we fucking go..

racist!

Russia!

racist!

Russia!

"I'm so morally superior"

"oooh look how edgy I am"

*yawn*

I'm indifferent to Farage so not fussed either way, but fuck me it's boring hearing the same shit over and over. Anytime someone doesn't tow the party line (we've had one uniparty in the UK for decades, and in the US) all we hear is blabbering nonsense about russia, racism, being a nazi/homophobe blah blah or some other nonsense. It's the same with Trump in the US, people losing their minds.

Political discourse is being reduced to nothing more than memes and cartoons.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Agreed.

Don’t apologise for telling it like it is.

Rather than coming up with some original thinking, some think that mass reposting from Twitter feeds ( or other sources) is all that they have to do to prove their point.

By all means quote the odd article or statistic  ( contested or not) that supports your reasoning.

But constantly posting some rubbish from Twitter that ties in with your own thinking is not a cogent argument. For example, that which compares Farage to a toilet (“ one is full of shit”  etc)  

Like you say it shouts out “ooh look how edgy I am”  It is  playground stuff which probably appeals to sniggering sixth formers but not to the more mature voter.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 12:55 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

That wasn’t a “car crash” interview.

It was exactly the sort of exchange you would expect in these circumstances.

On 6/23/2024 at 12:57 PM, La Colombe said:

Eh? You actually watched it? What an oddball. 

@La Colombe posts up a never ending stream of these puerile links, and I had been thinking to myself what a sad existence it must be for poor old @La Colombe to watch all of this absolutely mind numbing drivel.

However, when @The Voice of Reason passes comment on one of the links, @La Colombe calls him an oddball for watching it. This suggests that @La Colombe doesn't watch them, unless she considers herself an oddball too. It also raises the question of why she thinks we want to look at them if she can't be bothered to do so herself.

• Haha 2

Low wages under Tories have pushed 900,000 UK children into poverty, report finds  

The party has overseen ‘huge rise’ in poverty, as Resolution Foundation says average wages just £16 a week higher in real terms than in 2010

The crisis of poverty that has taken root in the UK over the past 14 years has been laid bare in two reports that reveal the devastating effects low wages and price increases on the lives of 900,000 children.

With both main parties proposing tough welfare spending plans, reports have highlighted the link between rising child poverty and slow wage growth under five Conservative governments since 2010 – the slowest growth since the second world war.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jun/25/low-wages-under-tories-have-pushed-900000-uk-children-into-poverty-report-finds

For what is now the sixth biggest economy on the planet the above is a national disgrace. Of course, all the usual right wing apologists will respond with all the usual excuses like "It depends on how you measure poverty" etc etc and all the rest of their BS - you know the drill...

Now strange but true the government of the day have a duty of care to ALL of their citizens. Unfortunately it would appear that the Thatcher political dogma of "They don't vote tory so fuck 'em" which defined her time in office will pervade tory "thinking" for a long long time to come...