The General Election in the United Kingdom

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Actually I did have a vote and as I have posted many times on that thread, I was directly impacted both in business and personal terms.  Neither of which were remotely positive.

The point I was making about Ed Davey is if his campaign increases the Lib Dems share of the vote then it doesn't matter whether or not you liked it.  Enough people do to vote for him.

Agreed, it doesn’t matter whether I like him or not. I wouldn’t vote for him not least because of the undignified way he has conducted himself during this campaign.

I understand that these sort of stunts appeal to a certain demographic. And if enough of them vote for him, and as a result  the Lib Dem get an increased share of the vote then he has found his audience.

On 7/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

50% more airtime possibly yes, but maybe 20% less votes than they would otherwise have got, due to his tomfoolery.

I expect Davey to turn up at his count on a unicycle.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2024 at 9:11 PM, P.K. said:

The thing is he went into a coalition with Cameron when Liberal values are much closer to Labour and light years away from the tories. Absolutely unforgiveable to take our votes and give them to the tories whom we despise and always have done.

So had it been a Lib/Lab coalition the grassroots are convinced that a great deal more could have been achieved and it's likely the country would not be in the mess it's in now...

It would have been chronically unstable, and the LibDems insisted that Brown would have to resign anyway in the limited talks that took place. Non-starter. The country is not in any worse mess than most others.

16 hours ago, P.K. said:

Didn't Brown and Darling do well digging the Western world out of the financial mess they were in. Brown was the only leader that actually had a plan moving forward that the others adopted. He was quite rightly lauded for his efforts. Except in the UK of course...

They saved the world, as Brown announced to MPs to great hilarity all round

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Now who to believe?

The Guardian or the Woolster?

Tricky one that not....

Apparently Sunak could lose his seat which would be a relief not only for him but for the rest of us as well.

He is up against this character in his Richmond and Northallerton seat:

image.jpeg.97622baa849c7ab86581cb9add886f1f.jpeg

Count Binface, a Recyclon, was recently interviewed by the Guardian and gave some illuminating answers to the standard questions:

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Using speakerphones on public transport, which is why I will ban this practice, with offenders forced to watch a box set of The One Show.

What scares you about getting older?
Nothing. We Recyclons age like a fine wine, not like an Apple product.

What is the worst thing anyone’s ever said to you?
“Count Binface, this is Boris Johnson...”

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Democracy.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Beating the far-right Britain First party by 4,000 votes in the London mayoral election.

What keeps you awake at night?
Wondering why humans are knowingly burning their planet. Also Bullseye repeats on Challenge TV.

Would you rather have more sex, money or fame?
Yes.

How would you like to be remembered?
I have got my eye on that fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square. But if they give it to Attenborough, fair play.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Don’t sweat the small stuff. But equally, don’t say you can’t sweat at all...

I hope he wins!

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Apparently Sunak could lose his seat which would be a relief not only for him but for the rest of us as well.

He is up against this character in his Richmond and Northallerton seat:

image.jpeg.97622baa849c7ab86581cb9add886f1f.jpeg

Count Binface, a Recyclon, was recently interviewed by the Guardian and gave some illuminating answers to the standard questions:

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Using speakerphones on public transport, which is why I will ban this practice, with offenders forced to watch a box set of The One Show.

What scares you about getting older?
Nothing. We Recyclons age like a fine wine, not like an Apple product.

What is the worst thing anyone’s ever said to you?
“Count Binface, this is Boris Johnson...”

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Democracy.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Beating the far-right Britain First party by 4,000 votes in the London mayoral election.

What keeps you awake at night?
Wondering why humans are knowingly burning their planet. Also Bullseye repeats on Challenge TV.

Would you rather have more sex, money or fame?
Yes.

How would you like to be remembered?
I have got my eye on that fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square. But if they give it to Attenborough, fair play.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
Don’t sweat the small stuff. But equally, don’t say you can’t sweat at all...

I hope he wins!

Something we can both agree on!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, woolley said:

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Now who to believe?

The Guardian or the Woolster?

Tricky one that not....

Silly question.

Edited by woolley
Bad link
  • Like 1

Dear me. What a waste of bandwidth.

I'm not saying Brown wasn't treated appallingly by the Opposition in the HoC. Because he was, no question. What I am saying is that when it mattered he stepped up and achieved. Because he did.

I thought he was an excellent Chancellor and he became the longest serving since the Reform Act of 1832. Contrast that with the last fourteen years...!

Talking of which an excellent read:

"Come with me to another country, far, far away, where things are a little bit different. In this fantastical land, young people can live and work in any country in Europe. You can swim in a river without catching Weil’s disease, or see your doctor.

"Things aren’t perfect in this country, but 40,000 people rely on food banks instead of 3.1 million. People live half a year longer. Five-year-olds are taller.

"Dear Reader, you’ll never guess what. That country is Britain! Or it was until 2010, when a parade of five Conservative prime ministers, seven chancellors and eight home secretaries (two of whom were Suella Braverman) climbed behind the wheel of Britain’s temperamental but mostly reliable family hatchback, and drove it into a hedge.

"What the hell just happened? If you’re feeling nostalgic, or just possibly just a little angry, here is a recap of the lurches, plunges and nausea of 14 years on the Tory rollercoaster."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2024/jul/04/did-that-really-happen-14-years-of-chaotic-tory-government

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Dear me. What a waste of bandwidth.

I'm not saying Brown wasn't treated appallingly by the Opposition in the HoC. Because he was, no question. What I am saying is that when it mattered he stepped up and achieved. Because he did.

I thought he was an excellent Chancellor and he became the longest serving since the Reform Act of 1832. Contrast that with the last fourteen years...!

Talking of which an excellent read:

"Come with me to another country, far, far away, where things are a little bit different. In this fantastical land, young people can live and work in any country in Europe. You can swim in a river without catching Weil’s disease, or see your doctor.

"Things aren’t perfect in this country, but 40,000 people rely on food banks instead of 3.1 million. People live half a year longer. Five-year-olds are taller.

"Dear Reader, you’ll never guess what. That country is Britain! Or it was until 2010, when a parade of five Conservative prime ministers, seven chancellors and eight home secretaries (two of whom were Suella Braverman) climbed behind the wheel of Britain’s temperamental but mostly reliable family hatchback, and drove it into a hedge.

"What the hell just happened? If you’re feeling nostalgic, or just possibly just a little angry, here is a recap of the lurches, plunges and nausea of 14 years on the Tory rollercoaster."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2024/jul/04/did-that-really-happen-14-years-of-chaotic-tory-government

Dear me, the Guardian has really gone downhill since I stopped taking ( paying for) it decades ago.  
Whilst you may generally agree with the premise of the article that the UK has suffered  under 14 years of Tory rule, it looks and reads like a student rag magazine. ( are they still a thing?). Amateurish.

They can keep begging all they like for me to give them some money but they won’t get any, at least not until they raise their game. 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1