The General Election in the United Kingdom

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Woolster, 1. Guardian, 0.  

What a surprise from MF's very own tory-boy who would do away with Child Benefit "because it doesn't work."

What it doesn't actually work at was never explained but then an explanation isn't needed...

The U.K. 2024 election on Manx Forums -

40% discussing the 2016 referendum

25% discussing the 2010 election

15% saying our lot are worse

10% discussing Nazis and the war

5% discussing 1997

4% discussing the American election

1% discussing the 2024 election  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

What a surprise from MF's very own tory-boy who would do away with Child Benefit "because it doesn't work."

What it doesn't actually work at was never explained but then an explanation isn't needed...

It doesn’t work because it doesn’t go to the child. It goes to the parent who just adds it to the pot and spends it on whatever the parent likes. If child benefit was paid In supermarket vouchers redeemable against pretty much everything except booze and fags, it would go a lot further, possibly twice as far.
personally, I would rather see that money put into a future pension for the child. 

13 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It doesn’t work because it doesn’t go to the child. It goes to the parent who just adds it to the pot and spends it on whatever the parent likes. If child benefit was paid In supermarket vouchers redeemable against pretty much everything except booze and fags, it would go a lot further, possibly twice as far.
personally, I would rather see that money put into a future pension for the child. 

Shamefully over 3 million of our poorest families are living on food banks and 4.3 million children (30%) are living in poverty.

But, of course, as every tory-boy knows those living in poverty are all feckless, workshy scroungers who squander any money on booze and fags while their children go hungry...

Posted (edited)

If I'm passing a newspaper stand I always have a glance at the front pages of those pillars of probity namely the Daily Mail, the Express, the Sun and the Telegraph as they rarely fail to give one a good laugh. Today is no exception:

ximage.jpeg.21434ce32b5c4819cfa71667adf40518.jpeg

image.jpeg.80be1048bb64f98204520467863a664f.jpeg

I particularly liked the "surrender of our brexit freedoms" and "traditional tory values" after the sheer dishonesty and chaos of the last 14 years.

Amazing that folks pay actual money for this garbage because they actually believe it!!! Have to add that as a "state of the nation" indicator it's also really rather depressing...

Edited by P.K.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Shamefully over 3 million of our poorest families are living on food banks and 4.3 million children (30%) are living in poverty.

But, of course, as every tory-boy knows those living in poverty are all feckless, workshy scroungers who squander any money on booze and fags while their children go hungry...

You said that, not me. For every workshy booze and fags scrounger, there is a yuppie using child benefit for holidays and a new car. 
AsI said, it doesn’t work. 

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

You said that, not me. For every workshy booze and fags scrounger, there is a yuppie using child benefit for holidays and a new car. 
AsI said, it doesn’t work. 

What's a young upwardly mobile professional doing getting child benefit...?

I also suspect they won't getting too many exotic holidays or new cars on £25.60 a week...!

Dear me...

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

What's a young upwardly mobile professional doing getting child benefit...?

I also suspect they won't getting too many exotic holidays or new cars on £25.60 a week...!

Dear me...

They do. These days£1300 (a year) buys nice yuppie toys, like a new iPhone.
So, £100 a month on food, or new iPhone and food bank?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Hang on.

What happened to the holidays and new cars...?

Have to say I'm beginning to think you don't know what you're talking about...

Says the Guardian opinion spokes person. On Brexit, I have quoted facts about how well the uk is doing since Brexit. All you have done is ape the gutter press opinions. 
If you think child benefits are all being spent on fresh, organic fruit and vegetables, along with measured, well fitted shoes, you are completely deluded. 
Hair, nails, iPhone, holidays are the priorities these days. Times have changed since  Mikhail Gorbatschow’s days.

I like the way in the past week or so that the Tories and their press are focusing on "Labour tax rises" to the exclusion of virtually everything else. It's as though it's the only card that they've got to play. Notwithstanding that the Conservatives have introduced the highest tax burden since WW2.

Maybe they should focus on WHY people might not be wanting to vote Conservative after 14 years...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Says the Guardian opinion spokes person. On Brexit, I have quoted facts about how well the uk is doing since Brexit. All you have done is ape the gutter press opinions. 
If you think child benefits are all being spent on fresh, organic fruit and vegetablefruits, along with measured, well fitted shoes, you are completely deluded
Hair, nails, iPhone, holidays are the priorities these days. Times have changed since  Mikhail Gorbatschow’s days.

Of course I don't think it's all being spent on fresh organic fruit & veg because kids can be very fussy eaters.

Of course there are some very feckless parents about and the UK gutter press - Mail, Express, Sun, Telegraph etc dig them up and make a lot of noise about them to give the impression to their hard of thinking readership that they're the norm. Which they're not.

Have to say you come across as though you absolutely believe every word of the nonsense they print...

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

If you think child benefits are all being spent on fresh, organic fruit and vegetables, along with measured, well fitted shoes, you are completely deluded. 

That sounds like a copy and paste effort from the Daily Mail. 

Personally I don't mind my taxes being used for child benefit.  Sure, there are some parents who will waste the money but they will be a small minority.  

Children are the future so anything that gives them a shot at a good education and food in their bellies is worth it.