The General Election in the United Kingdom

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, HeliX said:

True.

But Starmer gave people in the centre an unscarey option to punish the Tories and they looked for the best option in their constituency.

At the same time he didn't inspire anyone, but particulary the left. But the polls were so good it gave them freedom vote green or for an Independant.

Examples from Lancs -

• Preston the runner up was a lefty independent who got 22%, Labour won but their vote was down by the same amount
  • Blackburn an independent won, Labour were second and the Workers Party third between them they got 72%

So, I'd contend a majority of people were mildly content that Labour would replace the Tories.

Edited by Declan

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

True.

But Starmer gave people in the centre an unscarey option to punish the Tories and they looked for the best option in their constituency.

At the same time he didn't inspire anyone, but particulary the left. But the polls were so good it gave them freedom vote green or for an Independant.

Examples from Lancs -

• Preston the runner up was a lefty independent who got 22%, Labour won but their vote was down by the same amount
  • Blackburn an independent won, Labour were second and the Workers Party third between them they got 72%

Starmer is a massive bag of nothing. His own vote dropped from 36k in 2019 to 18k in 2024. Nobody wants him.

• Haha 1

It’s always the case that everyone except the winning party moans that we should have PR. Which is why we’ll never have it.  But even stalwart Labour supporters can’t argue that getting 2/3 of the seats with 1/3 of the votes is right, can they?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s always the case that everyone except the winning party moans that we should have PR. Which is why we’ll never have it.  But even stalwart Labour supporters can’t argue that getting 2/3 of the seats with 1/3 of the votes is right, can they?

Under PR the vote share would be different.

It's a big mistake Labour not supporting PR long term.

• Like 1

We can only hope that with so many seats, Labour are able to muster an effective cabinet and introduce some sensible policies for the good of the country.  I really doubt that they will unfortunately, I'd love to eat my hat if they do bring the country together, if I wore one. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I'm pretty sure that if it were a PR election the voting patterns would have been very different.

The member states of the EU mostly have some form of PR so they are very used to having working coalitions. The big advantage of PR giving rise to coalitions is a wider spectrum of views going into the policy-forming process which means there is much less chance of extreme policies getting through like conscription and brexit.

Have to say if FPTP means that a load of self-centred, racist, chancers only get 4 seats with 14% of the vote it'll do for now...

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

A third recount in South Basildon and East Thurrock. Could also be shenanigans with postal votes.

Less than 100 votes in it I heard...Reform just ahead in 2 counts so far.