The General Election in the United Kingdom

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

These joke candidates are just not funny any more. Apart from Rees Mogg, I wonder how baked bean man got on?

I’ll kind of miss JRM. At least he had a self deprecating sense of humour, acknowledging he was a nanny reared Tory toff. He was very good on “Have I got News for You” for example. He was never nasty. Always polite.

Whatever you think of anyone’s politics. ( and I don’t think much of his) we do need such characters.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of “ always polite “
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

These joke candidates are just not funny any more. Apart from Rees Mogg, I wonder how baked bean man got on?

He is Phin 'Barmy Brunch' Adams, standing for the Monster Raving Loony party. He got 211 votes and lost his deposit. 

He had this to say

“I wanted to run against someone who looked to be safe in their seat to create a Portillo moment if possible or at the very least — let’s be realistic here — provide a none of the above alternative for those voters who are either disaffected by politics or whatever.”

He added: “If people don’t ordinarily vote, then vote extraordinary.”

which is fair enough. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Watching tory scum getting wiped out in real time on bbc is glorious. Labour sure isn’t perfect but better than these thieves and scammers. 

I've said it before, but you see how good the system is? It gets rid of all your frustrations harmlessly.

23 hours ago, Declan said:

On C4 Nadine Dories has just said she's very worried about the rise of the right!

Maybe they should be focusing on why there is a rise of the right not just in Britain but Europe rather than worry about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, P.K. said:

The UK's finances are so dire and there are so many things to put right that whoever took power today has very little room for manoeuvre. The absolute shambles left behind by Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss and Sunak will therefore work in the Opposition's favour.

For example UK Public Services have already been hollowed out by Dave and Gideon's "austerity" and will take lots of funding to put right. Where is the money going to come from?

Difficult times ahead...

The UK's finances are dire, and so are every other country's that went through the early 2020s with us. However, the civil service headcount was 484,000 in 2010, but in 2024 there are 30,000 more of them. Not all "public services" hollowed out then. Priorities eh? Difficult times ahead.

14 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The number of Conservative seats that have now been won by Labour.

Clearly the Tories were massively unpopular for their own reasons but as was suggested it is an indication that people are also irate about what Brexit has visited upon them after what they were sold.

The few seats that have been won by Reform who have based part (apart from the tacit racism) of their campaign also indicate that failure but rather Reform claim that is down to the way Brexit was handled and the "failure to seize opportunities" 🥱

Some very subjective creativity here.

12 hours ago, P.K. said:

Mandy taking a pop at Reform stalwart David Bull on the "quality" of some of their candidates. Bull(shit) responds that they (the Brexit Party) stood down and gave Bozo Johnson an 80-seat majority.

Well, not on yesterday's voting they wouldn't have...

How can you say that? They made mincemeat of the Tory vote, letting in far more than 80 Labour MPs.

11 hours ago, Declan said:

True.

But Starmer gave people in the centre an unscarey option to punish the Tories and they looked for the best option in their constituency.

At the same time he didn't inspire anyone, but particulary the left. But the polls were so good it gave them freedom vote green or for an Independant.

Examples from Lancs -

• Preston the runner up was a lefty independent who got 22%, Labour won but their vote was down by the same amount
  • Blackburn an independent won, Labour were second and the Workers Party third between them they got 72%

So, I'd contend a majority of people were mildly content that Labour would replace the Tories.

Big Gaza vote in Muslim areas too.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, HeliX said:

Starmer is a massive bag of nothing. His own vote dropped from 36k in 2019 to 18k in 2024. Nobody wants him.

They definitely got him! Surely we have to be a little more magnanimous than that. He's worked hard to shape his party the way it is now. He may surprise. At least we can hope!

Edited by woolley

11 hours ago, Declan said:

Under PR the vote share would be different.

It's a big mistake Labour not supporting PR long term.

Never happen. It's not in human nature to support sharing power when the current system offers the chance of a massive slice all to yourself.