The General Election in the United Kingdom

44 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

A great example of the power that the tabloids used to hold.  I can still remember the infamous bacon sandwich picture of Milliband, yet somehow, Cameron was able to avoid the same bacon related fate.

I really think we underestimate just how much of a say the owners of the media have had on UK elections. 

I'm glad you said "used to", because it certainly isn't the case anymore.

@Chinahand

From its earliest times I never bought the spin around globalisation that took in politicians of the left and right alike, notably Blair as he was at the zenith of his powers when it was gaining real traction. One thing is absolutely plain. It wasn't about making the poor richer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

To be against illegal immigration means you’re portrayed as racist.

I don't think that's true. I think most people would prefer no illegal immigration. But if it's a person's only political position...

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

Regarding immigration I agree. To be against illegal immigration means you’re portrayed as racist. But lots of people are racist. Even lefties. This allows Farage et al to take votes from both sides.

It's the use of the word "illegal" that's the issue when referring to those crossing the channel in small boats.

There are zero legal routes for genuine asylum seekers to enter the UK.  The only exceptions have been a few limited cases such as Hong Kong and Ukraine.

Create a safe and legal route for asylum seekers and you could reduce the channel crossings.  It won't stop everyone but it erodes demand and the market for people smugglers.

There is also a general lack of understanding when it comes to international law on migration and asylum seekers.

Thise two combined means the racists can be pretty vocal whilst hiding behind an opposition to 'illegal migration".  Any political move to address the points I have raised is heavily criticised by the right.

7 hours ago, woolley said:

Don't under estimate the influence the media still has through their online presence and new outlets such as GB News.  It may be waning in traditional forms but it's not gone entirely. 

I have already seen conspiracy theories online regarding Kier Starmer which is rather depressing. 

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Don't be so sure.

The tory placemen were parachuted into the top echelons of the BBC for a reason. Clue: they promptly binned off two of our favourite progs Mock the Week and the Mash Report both of which were somewhat irreverant on issues political.

They also prompted an exodus of journalistic talent in the likes of Jon Sopel, Andrew Marr and Emily Maitlis. Leaving basically Laura Kuenssberg who is about as tory as they come. Add Robert Peston and thats the broadcast media sorted...

Posted (edited)

So, Farage didn't bother to turn up for the first day in his new job, and now Reform are being accused of fielding candidates who didn't actually exist! Good value indeed! I'd link to some points of discussion but MF's right wingers won't approve of that and I want to avoid another unjustifiable ban. 

Edited by La Colombe

10 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

So, Farage didn't bother to turn up for the first day in his new job, and now Reform are being accused of fielding candidates who didn't actually exist! Good value indeed! I'd link to some points of discussion but MF's right wingers won't approve of that and I want to avoid another unjustifiable ban. 

How is anyone shocked by this?  Farago had the worst attendance and voting record while as an MEP and people were expecting any better from him?

2 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

I imagine there is some in Clacton who thought they were voting for the Gammon Messiah are.

They've done the world a favour voting him in, he'll be under intense scrutiny from now on. Who knows, he may come out of it well. 

2 hours ago, La Colombe said:

How did he not turn up? Parliament doesn't even sit until today.

23 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

I always thought he was more a Victorian ghost than a vampire as I'm sure I've seen him outdoors in sunlight, but then SPF science has progressed leaps and bounds this day.

On 7/8/2024 at 3:20 PM, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20240708-151841_Facebook.jpg

I saw him referred to as a 'Haunted Edwardian Lamppost' somewhere recently. 

• Haha 1