The General Election in the United Kingdom

On 5/26/2024 at 9:54 PM, Declan said:

So an 18 year old off to uni, without a maintenance grant has to work 1 weekend a month for free rather than in a coffee shop etc

No, they are not off to uni anymore because the pointless degree has been cancelled. They are now doing an apprenticeship and being paid real beer money, with “scouts” once a month. 

On 5/27/2024 at 11:28 AM, RecklessAbandon said:

Also, lets think this "Bring Back National Service" policy through (the Tories clearly haven't).

What are the potential ramifications of "non-compliance"?

Fines?  Who will you fine?  The 18 year old is unlike to have sufficient funds to pay a fine, so you'll have to fine the parents.  That is a good way to increase the number of people who don't like the Tories.

Prison?  Considering the Tories have gutted the prison service to the point where over crowding is rampant and prison staff are woefully understaffed, that won't work.  Unless they plan to build more prisons and employ more prison staff (or maybe they can get other press ganged youth to staff it), where would they put them?

This smacks of appealing to the kind of people who bought into the sovereignty lies of Brexit.

You were doing so well until your last sentence.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HeliX said:

It's like Con and Lab are in a competition to become the most unelectable party

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/30/labour-candidate-defends-describing-un-antisemitic-20942514/

Personally I would vote Labour at that election whilst holding my nose.  The priority being to get the Conservative Party out of power.

My preference would actually be to vote for another party altogether perhaps Lib Dem's or Green's.  At the moment though doing so would seem to be wasted vote in most constituencies.

Personally I hate the UK's first past the post system.  This type of system always leads to a two party system with no real choice. 

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Personally I would vote Labour at that election whilst holding my nose.  The priority being to get the Conservative Party out of power.

My preference would actually be to vote for another party altogether perhaps Lib Dem's or Green's.  At the moment though doing so would seem to be wasted vote in most constituencies.

Personally I hate the UK's first past the post system.  This type of system always leads to a two party system with no real choice. 

I'd vote Green I think. Couldn't bring myself to back what Starmer is doing.

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'd vote Green I think. Couldn't bring myself to back what Starmer is doing.

So what is Starmer doing that's so awful?

Seems to me he's just doing his "squeaky clean" thing as per...

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Unfortunately with useless PM's at the helm - Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss, Sunak to name but a few it can turn into a dictatorship by the majority. Which is when you get terrible policies like those attacking our civil liberties...

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So what is Starmer doing that's so awful?

Seems to me he's just doing his "squeaky clean" thing as per...

What's squeaky clean about removing principled members of the party while accepting awful Tory defectors? The treatment of Diane Abbott, much as I'm no real fan of hers, has also been appalling. And the treatment of Faiza Shaheen.

Not to mention his repeated backtracking on policies, and the fact it's the most anti worker Labour party I can recall. There are two Tory parties in the house of commons, just one wears red ties.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Unfortunately with useless PM's at the helm - Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss, Sunak to name but a few it can turn into a dictatorship by the majority. Which is when you get terrible policies like those attacking our civil liberties...

Cameron was a good PM prior to the referendum. He dragged the Tories kicking and screaming into gay rights. Commendable.

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Cameron was a good PM prior to the referendum. He dragged the Tories kicking and screaming into gay rights. Commendable.

The Civil Partnership Act was Blair & co in 2004.

Cameron just embellished it.

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

The Civil Partnership Act was Blair & co in 2004.

Cameron just embellished it.

He considerably improved it whilst much of his party was anti. And he was a decent statesman. Shame he threw away a decent legacy with the referendum.

29 minutes ago, HeliX said:

While he had the Liberals to provide stability. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Declan said:

While he had the Liberals to provide stability. 

Ah yes.

Nick "turncoat" Cleggy ditched his Liberal morals for the crumbs from Cameron's table. Including his main election pledge about the controversial "Tuition Fees" farrago.

Unforgiveable so not suprising they're still struggling for a revival in their fortunes.

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 1