On the Buses

Harry Lamb

I hate the bus website. Considering going to Tynwald fayre. From what I can tell there's just the one direct south bus, the website says 

An extra return journey from Port St Mary and Port Erin to St Johns via Castletown operates:

which would sort of imply there is an existing one too but I can't find one. I've got there in the past on the bus at a better time, went up the Ballamohda on a double decker, it was great, but that one listed is far too early. The return is good though. Its frustrating.

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I hate the bus website. Considering going to Tynwald fayre. From what I can tell there's just the one direct south bus, the website says 

which would sort of imply there is an existing one too but I can't find one. I've got there in the past on the bus at a better time, went up the Ballamohda on a double decker, it was great, but that one listed is far too early. The return is good though. Its frustrating.

It’s all there, doesn’t seem complicated to be honest.  Ten seconds on google.

The info is also on their Facebook page

Service 8 - Port Erin via Castletown to St Johns & Peel  

An extra return journey from Port St Mary and Port Erin to St Johns via Castletown operates:

0918 Port St Mary harbour
0925 Port Erin, Railway Station
0934 Colby Bridge 
0946 Castletown Square, Co-op 
0957 Ballasalla Railway Station - Cross Four Ways - Ballamodha
1007 Higher Foxdale, Baltic
1017 St Johns, Tynwald Inn (subject to slight delay at Patrick Road Corner)
1023 Peel Town Hall

1635 Peel Town Hall
1643 St Johns, Tynwald Inn 
1649 Higher Foxdale
1701 Ballasalla Railway Station
1712 Castletown Square
1722 Colby Bridge
1730 Port Erin, Railway Station - connection with 1730 Service 11a to Port St Mary (arr. 1739)”

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Sigh.

All the info is on the website, and Facebook, or there is a phone number you can call if reading isn’t your strong point.

What more do you want them to do?  Phone you personally?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

extra
/ˈɛkstrə/
adjective

1. 1.
    added to an existing or usual amount or number; additional.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:
extra
/ˈɛkstrə/

adjective

1. 1.
    added to an existing or usual amount or number; additional.

All the info about bus routes tomorrow is easily available.

Which bit can’t you work out and we can help you?

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 7:05 PM, TheTeapot said:

which would sort of imply there is an existing one too but I can't find one

The summer tourist routes aren’t running this year, including the 8 past Round Table and the bus down to the Sound, but it’s the first year they’re not. It’s another public service enhancement brought to you by Tory Boy Cannan.

But if you have zero buses and add a bus, that’s still an extra bus?

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

Worth point out that someone at BV Towers must have been listening to Teapot as the FB post now reads:

A Service 8 bus departs Port St Mary at 0918, Port Erin at 0925 to St Johns and Peel, returning from Peel at 1635, St Johns at 1643. This service operates via Colby, Castletown, Ballasalla (Abbey Church) and Foxdale.

with no mention of it being 'extra'.

But the real problem as stated is the scrapping of the 'tourist route' buses, like the 8, and any buses to Cregneash and the Sound.  At the same time of course they're pushing the Island as a walking destination, but without public transport links that means walkers are limited in what they can do.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Worth point out that someone at BV Towers must have been listening to Teapot as the FB post now reads:

A Service 8 bus departs Port St Mary at 0918, Port Erin at 0925 to St Johns and Peel, returning from Peel at 1635, St Johns at 1643. This service operates via Colby, Castletown, Ballasalla (Abbey Church) and Foxdale.

with no mention of it being 'extra'.

But the real problem as stated is the scrapping of the 'tourist route' buses, like the 8, and any buses to Cregneash and the Sound.  At the same time of course they're pushing the Island as a walking destination, but without public transport links that means walkers are limited in what they can do.

They could always walk.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They switched the WiFi off on the buses? Been on two today and it hasn't been working on either 

Wasn’t working yesterday.  Data on the phone for the win.

Wifi on a bus seems pointless in 2024 and just an unnecessary expense now everyone has unlimited data.  I could see the point 5 or more years ago, but not in 2024.

Hopefully they have turned it off to save a few quid.