Bus Driver
Job Reference: DOI-020018
Salary: £13.34 - £15.00 per hour
Closing Date: 10/08/2025
Department: Department of Infrastructure
Employment Type: Permanent
Hours Per Week: 37

But that closed a month ago

Can I borrow your Time Machine? 😂I could make a fortune on the horses.

Edited by Tinpot
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

They do seem to have been recruiting permanent drivers recently:

Bus Driver
Job Reference: DOI-020018
Salary: £13.34 - £15.00 per hour
Closing Date: 10/08/2025
Department: Department of Infrastructure
Employment Type: Permanent
Hours Per Week: 37

But that closed a month ago

One issue may be that Tesco's are offering more than that to do daytime shifts in Ramsey as a team leader. You don't need a PSV licence to do that, either...

Screenshot_20240910-212342_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reading comments about bus drivers wages being low I was reminded of the front page headlines a decade or more ago when their salary at the time was revealed and everyone was up in arms.

A quick google, and this MF thread popped up.

Interesting to compare some of the comments then to now.

20 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Can I borrow your Time Machine? 😂I could make a fortune on the horses.

That's what happens when you research and then don't post straight away.  I googled for IOM bus driver jobs earlier today and the link was showing as 'Closed' with a date of 10/8/24.  The fact no one else picked it up (except for the bank  listing which is always there) suggests that was the situation.

When I came back to  put up the info I didn't double-check.  Clearly they had realised they had better reopen after the criticism over last weekend.  Either they have had a lot of resignations over the last month or the schools going back has meant drivers are rota'd more in the week and unwilling to do even more as overtime at weekends.

I suspect they've been relying on casuals and then inviting  them to be full-time if they 'fitted'.  But some will prefer to pick and choose to fit other commitments, while others will rather go to a guaranteed full-time post elsewhere.  So they are having to reverse the casualisation process which management dogma has been prescribing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's what happens when you research and then don't post straight away.  I googled for IOM bus driver jobs earlier today and the link was showing as 'Closed' with a date of 10/8/24.  The fact no one else picked it up (except for the bank  listing which is always there) suggests that was the situation.

When I came back to  put up the info I didn't double-check.  Clearly they had realised they had better reopen after the criticism over last weekend.  Either they have had a lot of resignations over the last month or the schools going back has meant drivers are rota'd more in the week and unwilling to do even more as overtime at weekends.

I suspect they've been relying on casuals and then inviting  them to be full-time if they 'fitted'.  But some will prefer to pick and choose to fit other commitments, while others will rather go to a guaranteed full-time post elsewhere.  So they are having to reverse the casualisation process which management dogma has been prescribing.

That job has been up for a while (Jobid 20095) but they reposted it on Facebook mid afternoon today.

6 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Haha

They have posted a drivers job on Facebook an hour ago.

30 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

That job has been up for a while (Jobid 20095) but they reposted it on Facebook mid afternoon today.

6 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Haha

They have posted a drivers job on Facebook an hour ago.

It probably went on Facebook first as it was the above that made me go looking.  But it would take a little time for HR to alter the Jobtrain listing.  Thinking about it, when I saw it first it may not have had the salary range, just the closing date.  And it clearly is an alteration - because if you're doing an 'open' listing you don't choose a random Sunday in 11 months time, you put in something like 31 December like the bank/zero-hours one.

It's interesting because it reveals they panicked and did a quick update  after all the criticism.

14 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The JobCentre post says “bank driver” but the link included on the the Job Centre post takes you to the JobTrain advert for a “bank diver”.

Maybe they're looking for a diver for The Bahama Bank?