On the Buses

Harry Lamb

6 hours ago, Barlow said:

Can I ask, does anyone here put their feet up on the seats opposite? It's not just children, it's adults too, with their children. I think only chavvy bastards put their feet up on the seats and I am just gaugiung if I am over reacting, andin fact this is Cacceptable behaviour these days (like talking loudly on the phone, and swearing and that).

ETA: I believe our bus service is super, and what spoils it is chavvy types making it a pig sty like they are at home in their front room.

Couldn’t agree more. But nobody intervenes ( including myself) for fear of being stabbed to death by a zombie knife.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Have you ever been on a Bus Vannin bus? I am on them regularly and I can say that 90% of the drivers are friendly, helpful and polite and give a great service. A lot of TT visitors said the same.

To some degree, Longworth is responsible for this as, on his watch, they started to recruit people with customer service skills, rather than people who were in the Union, or someone's mate. Rather ironic as he was the stereotypical 'grumpy old man' himself.

Thanks Ian, duly noted

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Couldn’t agree more. But nobody intervenes ( including myself) for fear of being stabbed to death by a zombie knife.

On one topic you are crying no need for guns as we live on the Isle of Man and now you're worried about zombie knives - make your mind up...

eta - apologies it was a fool and his money - I get the two of you mixed up.

Edited by Passing Time

Somebody with a greater knowledge about highway code than me, could you answer a question about signage on the rear of a bus. Seeing as a sprinter mini bus is a commercial vehicle should it not be restricted to 40mph with a badge on show or allowed up to 50mph as long as this badge is on show at the rear of the vehicle. Unlike the Bus Vannin sprinter  vehicle no883 that was approaching speeds of 65mph on the way to Ramsey via the coast road today at 12;30.

14 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Somebody with a greater knowledge about highway code than me, could you answer a question about signage on the rear of a bus. Seeing as a sprinter mini bus is a commercial vehicle should it not be restricted to 40mph with a badge on show or allowed up to 50mph as long as this badge is on show at the rear of the vehicle. Unlike the Bus Vannin sprinter  vehicle no883 that was approaching speeds of 65mph on the way to Ramsey via the coast road today at 12;30.

That 40mph/50mph sticker doesn’t seem to have been policed for years . Not saying that’s right but seems to have been a bright idea by someone without ever following it through. I bought a second hand van in 2014 and was nothing on that sticker wise .

just looked it up and this rule was dreamed up in 2006. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

That 40mph/50mph sticker doesn’t seem to have been policed for years . Not saying that’s right but seems to have been a bright idea by someone without ever following it through. I bought a second hand van in 2014 and was nothing on that sticker wise .

just looked it up and this rule was dreamed up in 2006. 

I thought the 40 (HGV) and 50 (Light Commercial) stickers came in in the early 90's. Initially both classes were 40 but after uproar the limit was raised to 50 for the lighter class.

I think the requirement to display the stickers was rescinded a few years ago though and you're right about the policing, some speed in vans like complete idiots, particularly on the mountain in the morning in my experience.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought the 40 (HGV) and 50 (Light Commercial) stickers came in in the early 90's. Initially both classes were 40 but after uproar the limit was raised to 50 for the lighter class.

I think the requirement to display the stickers was rescinded a few years ago though and you're right about the policing, some speed in vans like complete idiots, particularly on the mountain in the morning in my experience.

I honestly don’t think most van owners are aware of the restriction.  Loads of people using vans as daily drivers now and seem to be blasting about the place at 70 plus all the time.

To be fair, I can’t really see the justification for the restriction on modern vans, they drive, handle and stop just like a car these days.

45 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

To be fair, I can’t really see the justification for the restriction on modern vans, they drive, handle and stop just like a car these days.

Well, of course that depends on what they might be carrying. If an average car weighs 2 tonnes and a loaded van 3.5 tonnes, basic physics suggests breaking distances are not comparable.

• Like 1

The limit for small vans is 60 mph if not towing.

Goods vehicle

including a car-derived van not exceeding 3500kg not drawing a trailer - 60mph.

including a car-derived van not exceeing 3500kg drawing a trailer - 40mph.

exceeding 3500kg but not exceeding 7500kg not drawing a trailer - 50mph.

exceeding 3500kg but not exceeding 7500kg drawing a trailer - 40mph.

exceeding 7500kg with or without a trailer - 40mph.