On the Buses

Harry Lamb

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Well I certainly didn't start the drift onto dual carriageways. 

I have lane assist. 

First thing you do in a new car on the IoM is turn that off just annoying

• Like 1

Back on the buses, Manx Radio has two separate stories showing that the disastrous non-running of buses continues.  Firstly the DfE has cancelled an event for primary school children "due to significant logistical challenges, including existing requirements around scheduled school bus services such as sports and swimming, and limited resource through private transport providers".   Though I suppose it's possible that the DfE we horrified to discover that they were actually doing something for the public and were looking for an excuse to cancel it.

The other is the announcement that "we will be reducing service levels on a Sunday – the main change being that the frequency on our South routes will reduce to half hourly" to quote the Facebook.   Yesterday they said "Updates will be available on our website tomorrow", but nothings appeared yet.  Facebook refers you to the website and the website to Facebook.

Both continue to claim to problem is recruitment and staff sickness, but the latter is wearing thin in particular.

• Like 1

So it's been a month now since I applied for a bus driving job via jobtrain, still no contact other than the automated response I received immediately after submitting the application.

Full clean license with HGV class 2, several years professional driving experience, good health, IOM worker.

They've supposedly got ten vacancies, so either ten suitably qualified people were recruited within a day of the advert being posted - or they're telling porkie pies again.

I know which my money's on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Why the hell do the departments and more importantly Ministers continue to lie. There getting caught out recently time and again but don’t seem to learn. Alf needs to get a grip , won’t hold my breath , and sort this issue out. It’s looking like Crookall was lying over the roundabout at Ballasalla too. Mind blowing , private sector acting like this you’d be out the door before your feet could catch the ground. Seems it’s par for the course to tell the minions any old crap rather than face up to the issues. Another beaut is not knowing the price of the Liverpool Terminal. Yeah right. They know just the eruption from tax payers would be deafening . 

Edited by Numbnuts

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So it's been a month now since I applied for a bus driving job via jobtrain, still no contact other than the automated response I received immediately after submitting the application.

Full clean license with HGV class 2, several years professional driving experience, good health, IOM worker.

They've supposedly got ten vacancies, so either ten suitably qualified people were recruited within a day of the advert being posted - or they're telling porkie pies again.

From personal past experience, I do know that IoMG/Jobtrain wheels do grind inordinately slowly, presumably due to the number of in and out trays that applications have to pass through. A month is excessive by anybody's standards though.

To my mind, all these porkies (from across Govt) are all pointing towards one thing; no money.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What about PSV?

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What about PSV?

"Willingness to work towards" from what I can see, if not already held. There appear to be positions for 1 full time and 16 part time though Jobtrain is a nightmare to navigate let alone apply.

Screenshot_20241010-104803_OneDrive.jpg

On 10/9/2024 at 3:40 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

I take it you have logged in and checked the status of your application?

If you are waiting for them to call you, or write you will be waiting forever, even if you are offered an interview.

Edited by Tinpot

12 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What about PSV?

I don't have it, I think that's the problem. There was a qualifying question asking whether you had it before you started the application. It did allow you to continue if you said no though.

The point being, they're pretty much the only show in town when it comes to busses. Where are they going to find 10 qualified bus drivers who aren't already working for them? They're probably hoping some will move over and help with their population targets.

I suspect they have 10 vacancies but are not willing to train anyone, bit like the ATC debacle.