On the Buses

Harry Lamb

The minibuses were bought as part of the BV land grab to take all the patient transfer and schools work. There are clearly far too many of them for the amount of work they do. And because of the spec they’re useless for any other purpose.

The rest of the fleet is about right in tens of numbers though. Probably a few too many Citaros and a few too few double deckers. The Citaros are in good nick, I’d keep them rather than selling on. Even if the amortisation means it’s no more expensive to buy new, there’s definitely a cash flow argument this time around. The UK used bus market has in general dropped through the floor since Covid and even the Citaros, which do hold their value, are affected.

7 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Do the DOI fly in possible buyers to look at the items or do we pay to transport busses to a big bus auction

IIRC BV generally use Ensign Bus and Coach, who auction off buses for all the major UK operators.

On 6/8/2024 at 4:40 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

As for £100k new bus costing £10k per year, how much is citaro new?

GIYF.

But since you ask, a brand new one today would usually come in about £175,000-£200,000 with a 15-20 year amortisation. So yes, the accountancy cost is in the region of about ten grand a year, maybe slightly more but not much. But prices have risen in recent years, the ones we bought a few years ago will have been about the £150k mark.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh its ok, it seems it does. What a stupid website.

https://www.iombusandrail.im/fares-and-go-cards/go-cards/go-wild/ 

You have obviously already answered it, but to pick up on this yes it does and is actually a really good idea.  More of this please Bus Vannin/IOM Transport.

As for the stupid website, you get a 404 on the two Facebook posts they put up advertising this decent offer in April.

Decent idea, poorly executed.

If you go enjoy the wildlife park.  It’s another great and underused asset.  Especially with kids.

• Like 1

So I thought let's have a nice day out. 

First I deal with the stupid website, and eventually find what I'm looking for. Figure out a suitable bus connection. Go get the bus. It's a single.

Bus driver never heard of and can't find said ticket. Says go to the 'welcome' centre. I didn't want to go into Douglas, we were going to change at pully bridge/peel road. Stay on the bus and go to the sea terminal.

They refuse to sell me a ticket, saying you have to buy one from the driver. I point out the driver couldn't sell me one and told me to come here. "You have to buy one from the driver". Frustration at the stupidity ensues.

I now wait for a later bus than planned and wait to find out whether this bus driver has heard of the ticket.

An amazing situation all round.

It'll probably rain now.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Second bus driver knew what I was talking about.

Is it that hard to have a little FAQ booklet in the cab for drivers?

Unbelievable (well, not really) hope you enjoy the rest of the day. 

1 hour ago, Roger Ram said:

If you go enjoy the wildlife park.  It’s another great and underused asset.  Especially with kids.

it is, your kids can spend hours looking for a non existent animal in an enclosure filled with 2 feet tall grass.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, WTF said:

it is, your kids can spend hours looking for a non existent animal in an enclosure filled with 2 feet tall grass.

That's the pygmy reserve occupied by members of the Whether/Fukawi tribe - sometimes you can hear their battle-cry...

Edited by Harry Lamb
  • Haha 1

Well despite this mornings annoyance and delay we had a very nice time. 3 double deckers, two singles. Doubles are great, the Island looks terrific from up high. Jumping pillow was out of action at the Wildlife Park which was a disappointment for the nipper, but other than that it was good. The Lynx were out and about prowling, not just asleep like they normally are. Trip into Ramsey and a chippy tea from the Trawlerman. Big day out.

It's definitely a good deal the go wild thing, if your bus driver knows what it was is.

Boy is ready for his Xbox, I'm ready for a spliff.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

It sounded like a day of quality parenting until this.

Anyway.  Hope you all had fun 

How did you manage to edit that post to add the extra line without the “edited” flag appearing? When I edit posts it seems to flag up an “edit” marker to show that it was edited? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Radiolistner said:

How did you manage to edit that post to add the extra line without the “edited” flag appearing? When I edit posts it seems to flag up an “edit” marker to show that it was edited? 

Edit what?  There was no editing.  If I edit a post it says so right there on the post

Edited by Roger Ram
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Edit what?  There was no editing.  I I edit a spost it ssays so right there on the post

No it definitely changed. How do you do that? Can you pay extra for a subscription to remove edit notes? 

Edited by Radiolistner
Edited
  • Haha 1