New Mt Mobile Numbers?

Amadeus

Just thought that this was newsworthy:

A friend of mine bought a new payg sim card the other day and his number now starts with 3 instead of 4 - the guy in the MT shop said they introduced the new numbers 2 or 3 weeks ago..

Good bye, good old 07624 / 4...., Hello 07624 / 3......

Did Mt really use up 499999 mobile numbers? And if yes, who has 499999? Questions....

I'm surprised you're the first to mention it. I know a few people who've got 3xxxxx numbers already.

And yes, they've used up all the 4xxxxxx numbers.

Did you also know that they've started introducing 7xxxxx numbers down South?

...so they've used up 99,999 "4*****" numbers on an Island with a Population of say 80,000 ?

How so ? Cos I fail to see how any digit combinations could be out of range. And whilst a few people *may* have two numbers, it still doen't equate.

A marketing tool, perhaps ?...

...GOMH*...

...PS On a similar tip, our home number was 4363 (I think) in the late 70's. How amusing that Douglas contained less that 9999 Landlines back then :) ? ...

Lots of people have work mobiles as well as home mobiles. Lots of people change their number regularly when they lose their PAYG sim. Lots of numbers are sat spare in sim packs awaiting sale. It's pretty easy to imagine where they've all gone really.

...so they've used up 99,999 "4*****" numbers on an Island with a Population of say 80,000 ?

How so ? Cos I fail to see how any digit combinations could be out of range. And whilst a few people *may* have two numbers, it still doen't equate.

A marketing tool, perhaps ?...

...GOMH*...

...PS On a similar tip, our home number was 4363 (I think) in the late 70's. How amusing that Douglas contained less that 9999 Landlines back then :) ? ...

You had a phone in the 70's?

We had a phone box down the road, it used to take 2p coins.

Victor Meldrew's number is still 4291. They can't have that many people living where he is, I can't think why!

Stav.

Lots of people have work mobiles as well as home mobiles. Lots of people change their number regularly when they lose their PAYG sim. Lots of numbers are sat spare in sim packs awaiting sale. It's pretty easy to imagine where they've all gone really.

And if you include the number of sim cards sold to "comeovers" that leave again after a short while (and hence make the number they bought un-usable for quite a while), it's even easier..

Was surprised that no-one noticed that earlier myself - just one of these things, I guess...

A friend of mine bought a new payg sim card the other day and his number now starts with 3 instead of 4 - the guy in the MT shop said they introduced the new numbers 2 or 3 weeks ago..

Did Mt really use up 499999 mobile numbers? And if yes, who has 499999? Questions....

who gives a **** <_<

...more fool me, it appears, for actually thinkg MT had a Marketing Dept.

What's that ? They do ? Fancy that, eh ?

It's one thing having a captive audience, it's quite another extracting extra revenue out of them. Albeit not as hard as when one has some competition, granted...

...GOMH*...

Why don't you give it a ring and find out?

Archived