Student Grants

Firefly

Am I right in my understanding.

(1) 100% Tuitition Fees are funded by IOM Gov - for everybody.

(2) Maintenance Grants are available - means tested -

Yeah, that's the case. Maintenance grants are means tested and set on a sliding scale, with the amount of the grant being dependent upon the results of the means test.

The Island has taken a really impressive stance on tuition fees. I think there is an age cut off for anyone slightly more mature intending to study at uni ?

The Island has taken a really impressive stance on tuition fees. I think there is an age cut off for anyone slightly more mature intending to study at uni ?

One of the conditions for a grant is that you're under the age of forty. People over this age may still be eligible for a 'discretionary award' though, depending on the strength of the case they can put forward.

One of the conditions for a grant is that you're under the age of forty. People over this age may still be eligible for a 'discretionary award' though, depending on the strength of the case they can put forward.

Thats even more impressive. I had wrongly supposed there was a cut off age around 25 or so. Well done Isle of Man ... again!

For anyone who thinks they would really struggle financially by going to university, it is aways possible, if a lot harder in terms of time management and maintaining commitment, to gain accredited higher education qualifications without the need to actually attend a university. The Open University immediately springs to mind ... it is currently rated 11th best in the UK for quality of teaching materials and, amazingly, actually manages to outshine all the others in one or two disciplines. However, it takes twice as long to finish a degree compared to conventional universities and, of course, students have no opportunity to immerse themselves in academic life. ... and all the other activities which are part and parcel of university life.

Liverpool University also seems to be making a good effort to extend its teaching and this must be attractive to anyone who is worried about the cost of studying and living in the Uk. The local college has a partnership arrangement by means of which Manx people might be able to complete the first 2 years of their degree here on the Island and then travel to Liverpool for the final one or two remaining years. Liverpool has a good academic reputation and offers accredited qualifications in a wide range of disciplines.

So the message is ...the Island is doing fantastically well in terms of supporting its students. However, if you still think you couldnt afford to go, there are other options. One might be the Open University route another might be the academic partnership route.

Dont give up because of money worries !

I agree, although the only problem with the Open University is that there isn't the same kind of support, academic or personal available as being in an actual university offers. Don't get me wrong, it's great if you are sure you can work outside of the usual lecture/seminar structure, but some people will find it more difficult to 'get into the swing of things'.

Also, the decision to study at the Open University can't be taken lightly if you're thinking of studying a science. Yes they have residential summer schools for lab work, but this does not make up for the kind of regular and intensive lab sessions that a student will take part in at another university. When applying for a job in the sciences, or for further study at a 'physical' university, it's likely that admissions and interview staff will be taking the amount of lab experience into account, and you could find yourself at a disadvantage compared with other candidates.

When taking money into account, I'd probably advise first checking out if a university has a hardship fund available, which most decent places do, and the availability of part time work in the surrounding area, then compare this with going down the OU route.

I agree, although the only problem with the Open University is that there isn't the same kind of support, academic or personal available as being in an actual university offers. Don't get me wrong, it's great if you are sure you can work outside of the usual lecture/seminar structure, but some people will find it more difficult to 'get into the swing of things'.

Also, the decision to study at the Open University can't be taken lightly if you're thinking of studying a science. Yes they have residential summer schools for lab work, but this does not make up for the kind of regular and intensive lab sessions that a student will take part in at another university. When applying for a job in the sciences, or for further study at a 'physical' university, it's likely that admissions and interview staff will be taking the amount of lab experience into account, and you could find yourself at a disadvantage compared with other candidates.

When taking money into account, I'd probably advise first checking out if a university has a hardship fund available, which most decent places do, and the availability of part time work in the surrounding area, then compare this with going down the OU route.

My first choice would be the conventional route I and (I think you as well ?) have followed. I liked it so much I stayed for over 12 years !

The OU has considerable strengths and also has some weaknesses.... you have highlighted one of them.

I actually took a contract as associate lecturer with them for a short while ..it was a spare time thing for me to top up my cash flow at the time. I was very impressed with the students and the materials.... both of which compared favourably with my full time teaching experience. I had to give it up eventually as I was was struggling to find the time needed to support my "full time" students and my "OU students" .... obviously I lack the necessary energy and commitment.

I found this media release interesting as it confirms the quality of an amazing organisation

Media Release

Nevertheless, this isnt an advert for the OU ... just a plea for people not to give up on higher education for financial reasons alone. There are now so many different routes available for people to get a qualification.

Vinnie's suggestion that people might apply for assistance from a hardship fund is an excellent one. There are also a number of employers, notably the armed services who will award bursaries.

I heard skeet a couple of weeks ago (off-island) that the tuition grants for IOM students will be a casualty of the MEA fiasco from next year. I expect that will be the big excuse for any cuts over the coming years.

I

This has already started.....the son of a friend of mine has just started his second year at Aberdeen. Last year his full grant was £44??, this year it is £4195. A drop of approximately 5%.

Or his parents could be earning more money, or otherwise had changed circumstances

Archived