Driver Arrested...

La Colombe

In the old days, before I was born, air-raid sirens would sound to announce to everyone that they should get under the kitchen table. After the attack, the sirens would sound an all-clear. Everyone was informed.

Is there a simple system here for the TT? I envisage something simple that does not include Twitter or Facebook or web-pages with inane comments about anything.

For example, a telephone number where, if you send a text with the word "status", you get a text back giving a concise summary e.g. "roads closed, estimated opening 21:00"

And a website with that data, and nothing else.

If such a thing does not exist, what does one do to find out the status?

Of course, that would assume that the Internet is working.

21 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

In the old days, before I was born, air-raid sirens would sound to announce to everyone that they should get under the kitchen table. After the attack, the sirens would sound an all-clear. Everyone was informed.

Is there a simple system here for the TT? I envisage something simple that does not include Twitter or Facebook or web-pages with inane comments about anything.

For example, a telephone number where, if you send a text with the word "status", you get a text back giving a concise summary e.g. "roads closed, estimated opening 21:00"

And a website with that data, and nothing else.

If such a thing does not exist, what does one do to find out the status?

Of course, that would assume that the Internet is working.

They still test the air raid sirens occasionally.  It used to be fairly regular, but I don't remember hearing them recently. 

There is that mass phone notification thing they set up during Covid called Everbridge, but I think you actually need to sign up for that.  It's also supposed to be for weather warnings etc too.  But notionally what your suggesting doesn't sound like a terrible idea.  Surely they could send out a text message to all users on the network - TT COURSE CLOSED/OPEN.  Of course that would be reliant on the phone network working. 

13 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The trouble is that there's lots of information.  But it tends to say things like that the roads will be open "not later than 9.30pm".  Now if there's an accident, roads can be closed at any time, but some people tend to take the end time as fixed.

36 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They still test the air raid sirens occasionally.  It used to be fairly regular, but I don't remember hearing them recently. 

They gave that up when they launched the other system.   

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble is that there's lots of information.  But it tends to say things like that the roads will be open "not later than 9.30pm".  Now if there's an accident, roads can be closed at any time, but some people tend to take the end time as fixed.

Perzackly. That is why a real-time system is necessary. After all, it is now the 21st Century, even in Ramsey.

Edited by Two-lane

8 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

It was after the red flag incident which was after 9 .    There were bikes still heading for the grandstand after 9.30 last night at Signpost so perhaps they thought the roads had opened.   No excuse.

Named and spent a night in the cells for being a complete idiot 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/local-man-accused-of-driving-on-closed-roads/

4 hours ago, HeyJingo said:

There is a Whatsapp Community for regular updates.  Link below, which announced that the roads open car left the grandstand to its 10k plus followers at 21:17 last night, and that all roads were open exactly an hour later.

https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaZgixs0QeanjSZ52v3S

Maybe they need to put something across peoples drives rather than just assuming people will wait until the roads open car has passed?

Strange that government and the police are using WhatsApp for official comms, most security professionals advise against it's use. It's not secure, nobody knows where the data goes