Lord Street Mega Project

This development will be a first for the island, with it being the highest residential tower block on the island. Whether people will buy into it remains to be seen. I wouldn’t want to live (rent or buy), especially where there is a lift, and a likelihood of vandalism and lift breakdown. 

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

This development will be a first for the island, with it being the highest residential tower block on the island. Whether people will buy into it remains to be seen. I wouldn’t want to live (rent or buy), especially where there is a lift, and a likelihood of vandalism and lift breakdown. 

It will never, ever, happen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

It will never, ever, happen.

Lots of IOMG cheerleaders, especially on here think it’s going to happen. On a seperate note, work was recommenced on the Duke Street flats, but it has now come to a standstill. Run out of money ………. again? 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

if it is taller than st pauls apartments it will look well out of place perched on the end of the quay

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WTF said:

if it is taller than st pauls apartments it will look well out of place perched on the end of the quay

This is also going to be interesting, for another reason. Namely, next to the old bus station site, is North Quay, which I thought is a conservation zone. Look at all the aggravation the developers of the Newsons building had, in their failed attempts to gain planning permission. 

16 minutes ago, 2112 said:

This is also going to be interesting, for another reason. Namely, next to the old bus station site, is North Quay, which I thought is a conservation zone. Look at all the aggravation the developers of the Newsons building had, in their failed attempts to gain planning permission. 

Funnily enough the Bus Station Site is the only part of North Quay that isn't in the Conservation Area. See the linked map!! 

douglasnorthquayconservationar.pdf (gov.im)

2 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

So 85 apartments count as 'new homes'. I wonder how many will be occupied full-time.

Realistically they are not going to build houses in the middle of town, but there are plenty of recent housing estates & proposals that provide additional units of this type.

If you look at the likes of Spectrum apartments and similar, they rent out quickly and provide much needed rental capacity for people of a certain demographic - generally (but not always) without families & younger, working in town. 

Providing this type of accomodation eases pressure on other areas of the rental market (e.g. overspilling into houses where none available, and reducing demand for low quality Demesne Rd type bedsits where higher quality alternatives exist). Sticking everyone in 3+ bed houses is not practical or a good use of land.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Providing this type of accomodation eases pressure on other areas of the rental market 

I've noticed a lot of posts recently on the Facebook IOM Properties to Rent page, basically stating there is nowhere to rent.  Several posters either stating they have a job offer and are due to move here, but can't find anywhere to stay or people in temporary staff accomodation (guessing mostly hospital workers) noting they are coming to the end of their temprorary term and failing to find anywhere.  Each instance notes that if they obviously can't find anywhere to live, then their job will be going.  

• Thanks 1