Manx Telecom caught out by the TT - again

So, halfway through practice week in what, the 117th year of the TT and MT's 4g network is pretty much at a standstill.

Makes you wonder how many more hundreds of years it will be before they cotton on to the fact that there may be a few more people around in late May and early June.

Although given they were recently caught out by Tynwald day traders using sum up machines (meaning a loss of sales for most) it will probably be at least another 900 years before they acknowledge there's a problem.

World class telecommunications provider, or bunch of clueless, greedy chancers? You decide.

• Like 2

They must be raking it in with roaming charges for foreign networks. With more and more people opting for streaming coverage rather than MW radio and keeping up to date with the will they/won't they practises and road closures etc. it can't be a surprise.

Hell, half the traffic must be people trying to figure out how to get to the Grandstand via public transport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

They must be raking it in with roaming charges for foreign networks. With more and more people opting for streaming coverage rather than MW radio and keeping up to date with the will they/won't they practises and road closures etc. it can't be a surprise.

Hell, half the traffic must be people trying to figure out how to get to the Grandstand via public transport.

When I go somewhere else in the world and want to work out the best way to get somewhere via public transport, I load Google maps, enter my destination, my phone shows me exactly where to walk to, what bus / train to get to get me there in the quickest manner, along with the cost.

I've just tried to enter Peel to Douglas on Google Maps via public transport and absolutely nothing shows.

I don't know what feeds Google maps this information, but we really should have it all loaded especially at this time of year.

• Like 4

Cue various posts from assorted MT defenders, claiming that the service is only as good as the economics for the size of the local market warrants...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s always been dodgy. I’ve always noticed a drop off on a Friday afternoon , I presume people making arrangements for after work and the weekend etc. But always when we have a big influx it drops off. As said above yet they proclaim a world class service when really it’s far from that .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

Simple. Just install more 'state of the art' telegraph poles around the Island.

They probably aren't allowed. The helmets that think their brain is getting fried by mythical 5g waves will object.

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

It’s always been dodgy. I’ve always noticed a drop off on a Friday afternoon , I presume people making arrangements for after work and the weekend etc. But always when we have a big influx it drops off. As said above yet they proclaim a world class service when really it’s far from that .

It's not just Friday afternoons. It's most afternoons. So much for the "world-class telecommunications infrastructure".

https://www.digitalisleofman.com/telecoms-infrastructure/

For the price it's bullcrap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1