Manx Telecom caught out by the TT - again

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's not just Friday afternoons. It's most afternoons. So much for the "world-class telecommunications infrastructure".

Usually when all the kids are finishing school and are going online doing homework or more likely online gaming with Roblox etc.

It might not be so simple as 'more people online' though. There could actually be plenty of spare capacity in the system, and it could be that capacity is simply not being managed properly or professionally. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Max Power said:

I read a report that MT's mobile data was crap at the first TT in 1907. 

You can’t blame MT for that. They didn’t exist then. It was all down to the GPO in those days. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Max Power said:

I read a report that MT's mobile data was crap at the first TT in 1907. 

I'm not quite that old, but I do remember being given a shiny new Nokia brick by work in the late 90's.

I went to watch the practice one evening at the grandstand and wanted to phone my wife to tell her where I was. I was stood behind the grandstand looking directly at the newly installed mobile site on the roof of the tower - still couldn't make a call, network busy.

Fast forward quarter of a century and mobile phone technology has moved on beyond all recognition, Manx Telecom on the other hand, still the same shite service.

2 hours ago, kevster said:

You can’t blame MT for that. They didn’t exist then. It was all down to the GPO in those days. 

GPO didn't take over Manx phones until 1912. Before that it was the private sector and 4G coverage was crap.

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

why would MT put infrastructure in for 2 weeks of the year?

They don't need to, the infrastructure is already there, I've had full signal on my phone each time this week I've tried unsuccessfully to use 4g. 

All they need to do is temporarily increase the capacity.

And if you need a reason for them to do that - how about providing a useable service to the customers that pay for their multi- million pound profits every year.

Instead of creaming off a fortune in roaming revenue and leaving customers with a service they know will be crap.

It may not be quite as bad if they weren't actively selling SIM cards to visitors during the fortnight.

Greedy cowboys.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Almost 10 hours yesterday with no 4G connectivity, unable to access internet or send/receive messages via Messenger or WhatsApp outside of WiFi zones. Not good for anybody trying to use 4G for work purposes.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Almost 10 hours yesterday with no 4G connectivity, unable to access internet or send/receive messages via Messenger or WhatsApp outside of WiFi zones. Not good for anybody trying to use 4G for work purposes.

Afaik sure doesn't allow UK / foriegn sims to connect to their network these days .. So MT seems to be taking  the hit ..

Posted (edited)

Well , following on comments above. No internet for me again from 5 pm yesterday to sometime around 1 30 am this morning. Then woke up , always a bonus, at 9 am then nothing all day till 8 pm . Couldn’t get Manx Radio for the racing or any messaging or emails etc. Down my football club from 5 till 7 ish and nobody could access Internet there either. Some not very happy visitors having to use there data from there U.K. sims. Anyone else on here had the same problems.? Not acceptable in any shape of form in my view. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Well , following on comments above. No internet for me again from 5 pm yesterday to sometime around 1 30 am this morning. Then woke up , always a bonus, at 9 am then nothing all day till 8 pm . Couldn’t get Manx Radio for the racing or any messaging or emails etc. Down my football club from 5 till 7 ish and nobody could access Internet there either. Some not very happy visitors having to use there data from there U.K. sims. Anyone else on here had the same problems.? Not acceptable in any shape of form in my view. 

Hmm....the roaming charges for, say 5000 people, on one of the busiest TT days would not amount to chicken feed.

It certainly pays to be incompetent on the Isle of Man. We have some of the greatest teachers across government to be thankful for that.

People should formally complain to CURA as otherwise this won't get investigated. If MT proved to be incompetent (in this case) then CURA could demand refunds. And there will be one or two shocking roaming bills for some, dependent on their provider/location.

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Agree.

Sadly it’s down to crap infrastructure which can’t cope with the visitor influx. 

At the risk of being shouted down …………… perhaps IOMG should use its influence, and liaise with CURA? Maybe Jason Moorehouse MHK will ask a question? 

• Like 1