Manx Telecom caught out by the TT - again

52 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

He usually does...but "can the Chief Minister guess what colour underpants I have on today?" won't likely help much.

the answer is always brown.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

That's impossible. There is no UK data signal here. They roam via sure or MT. 

Sure does not allow you to roam on their service with a foreign SIM card you can only roam on Manx Telecom 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Well , following on comments above. No internet for me again from 5 pm yesterday to sometime around 1 30 am this morning. Then woke up , always a bonus, at 9 am then nothing all day till 8 pm . Couldn’t get Manx Radio for the racing or any messaging or emails etc. Down my football club from 5 till 7 ish and nobody could access Internet there either. Some not very happy visitors having to use there data from there U.K. sims. Anyone else on here had the same problems.? Not acceptable in any shape of form in my view. 

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Agree.

Sadly it’s down to crap infrastructure which can’t cope with the visitor influx. 

At the risk of being shouted down …………… perhaps IOMG should use its influence, and liaise with CURA? Maybe Jason Moorehouse MHK will ask a question? 

Exactly the same here, I've not been able to use mobile data for over a week, despite paying for it. As you say, it's supposed to be a regulated market, where are CURA?

Whe exactly the same thing happened last year, I phoned them up and asked them to refund the two weeks - they refused.

They're nothing but a bunch of crooks, no better than someone who would rob you in the street.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billymacker said:

Sure does not allow you to roam on their service with a foreign SIM card you can only roam on Manx Telecom 

I thought that was just my Vodaphone but stand corrected

However, my point remains valid, Visitors here cannot use their own data from back home. They must use one of the Island providers as none of the UK networks have infrastructure here and only MT seems to be available

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billymacker said:

How long has that been the case (I'm sure in the past they would) & why did that arise? MT substantially undercut them?

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Exactly the same here, I've not been able to use mobile data for over a week, despite paying for it. As you say, it's supposed to be a regulated market, where are CURA?

Have you reported it to Manx Telecom?

I noticed the other day that 4G in Central Douglas was struggling at peak times (showing connected but no bandwidth). Just tried to connect again and noticed the same!

I guess it's similar to being at a concert / football match where there's a large number of people connected to a mast that aren't normally there. The mast can only provide so much output.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Complaint form...Complain to CURA...

https://www.cura.im/how-to-complain/complaints-form/

Won't work.  As always with these matters, you have to complain to the provider first and if that fails only then can you go to the regulator.  From their website:

How to Complain

The first step with any complaint should always be to contact your telecommunications provider directly and discuss the issue with them.

[...] If you cannot reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion, you may contact the Communications and Utilities Regulatory Authority and we may then contact the telecommunications provider on your behalf.

If your complaint is regarding a contractual issue such as a dispute over terms and conditions, or your consumer rights, the Office of Fair Trading may be better suited to advise and assist you as they have the necessary expertise in these areas. The Office of Fair Trading can be contacted by email to iomfairtrading@gov.im or by telephone on (01624) 686500.

If you click on the link there's more information and links.  Obviously if you have already formally complained to MT and got no joy you can go ahead.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

How long has that been the case (I'm sure in the past they would) & why did that arise? MT substantially undercut them?

Yes they did both work in the past. But I think @billymacker is right. If I change my Vodaphone phone to Sure it doesn't work anymore. It used to select the one with the best signal automatically. Now I have to force it to MT 4G to get it to work. Its crap at the moment.

But rather oddly, my Manx phone is Sure. It doesn't work very well at the moments but how come? If all the visitors are on MT how come Sure is affected 😧

Edited by Happier diner

19 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Have you reported it to Manx Telecom?

I noticed the other day that 4G in Central Douglas was struggling at peak times (showing connected but no bandwidth). Just tried to connect again and noticed the same!

I guess it's similar to being at a concert / football match where there's a large number of people connected to a mast that aren't normally there. The mast can only provide so much output.

MT should have anticipated demand and altered their infrastructure accordingly. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Won't work.  As always with these matters, you have to complain to the provider first and if that fails only then can you go to the regulator.  From their website:

How to Complain

The first step with any complaint should always be to contact your telecommunications provider directly and discuss the issue with them.

[...] If you cannot reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion, you may contact the Communications and Utilities Regulatory Authority and we may then contact the telecommunications provider on your behalf.

If your complaint is regarding a contractual issue such as a dispute over terms and conditions, or your consumer rights, the Office of Fair Trading may be better suited to advise and assist you as they have the necessary expertise in these areas. The Office of Fair Trading can be contacted by email to iomfairtrading@gov.im or by telephone on (01624) 686500.

If you click on the link there's more information and links.  Obviously if you have already formally complained to MT and got no joy you can go ahead.

The problem with MT is that they are both wholesaler and retailer. If Sure can't/won't provide additional services for international roaming then something is wrong and CURA's feet should be held to the fire.

Where is the competition?? It's absolutely not acceptable.

Strangely, yet another LLP busy skinning Manx residents whilst the regulator is left with insufficient powers to address the matter?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Strangely, yet another LLP busy skinning Manx residents whilst the regulator is left with insufficient powers to address the matter?

Athol Streets finest?