Manx Telecom caught out by the TT - again

Posted (edited)

Well another day with dodgy connection with my internet. Can't help thinking as the day goes on it will get worse. Wasn’t it that fine upstanding CM , Quayle , who spouted about our world leading internet service here. Yeah right. Tbf the other 50 weeks of the year , apart from drop out particularly on Friday afternoons, it’s not to bad and can deal with it. Still , it’s not good enough for this so called leading financial hub. Need to get sorted quickly. They make enough from us on contracts and the likes .ps , bonus it’s currently working . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Have you reported it to Manx Telecom?

I noticed the other day that 4G in Central Douglas was struggling at peak times (showing connected but no bandwidth). Just tried to connect again and noticed the same!

I guess it's similar to being at a concert / football match where there's a large number of people connected to a mast that aren't normally there. The mast can only provide so much output.

Yes, several times, last year, this year, even asked them for a two week refund as I didn't have a useable service, they refused.

They really couldn't care less.

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I guess it's similar to being at a concert / football match where there's a large number of people connected to a mast that aren't normally there. The mast can only provide so much output.

I went to the NW200 last month on the rural North coast of Northern Ireland. Far more visitors than the TT and 4g was fine all the time I was there.

Also went to Glastonbury last year, not sure how many hundreds of thousands descend on that place, but again, the 4g was fine.

Again, the TT is hardly unexpected, nor is it particularly well attended in the grand scheme of things. You'd think a "world class" telecoms provider would be able to cope.

6 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I went to the NW200 last month on the rural North coast of Northern Ireland. Far more visitors than the TT and 4g was fine all the time I was there.

Also went to Glastonbury last year, not sure how many hundreds of thousands descend on that place, but again, the 4g was fine.

Again, the TT is hardly unexpected, nor is it particularly well attended in the grand scheme of things. You'd think a "world class" telecoms provider would be able to cope.

How would MT's owners, Basalt Infrastructure Partners, make any money though if MT had to invest in its infrastructure? Maybe they need to ask Government for another £10 million...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Twitch said:

How would MT's owners, Basalt Infrastructure Partners, make any money though if MT had to invest in its infrastructure? Maybe they need to ask Government for another £10 million...

They had a few more million on top of that to speed up the roll out of fibre back when COVID was on.

How's that going?

57 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

You are either very lucky or I am very unlucky. Every big event I go to in the UK or Europe. No data.

What would be the point in spending millions for 2 weeks per year?

I'm with @Twitch

47 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They had a few more million on top of that to speed up the roll out of fibre back when COVID was on.

How's that going?

It was a further £10 million and in the immortal words of Blackadder.... "Seen it, pinched it, spent it!"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You are either very lucky or I am very unlucky. Every big event I go to in the UK or Europe. No data.

What would be the point in spending millions for 2 weeks per year?

I'm with @Twitch

Who's talking about spending millions? The infrastructure is already there. All they need to is increase the capacity temporarily.

The point would be providing a useable service for their customers.

Sure manage it and let's face it, they're hardly a bastion of customer service themselves.

Edited by A fool and his money.....

Not had a problem using either mobile, laptop or streaming in Douglas area. Also been south and Laxey & at. Very busy grandstand weekend and no issues accessing messages, any website etc.

14 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Who's talking about spending millions? The infrastructure is already there. All they need to is increase the capacity temporarily.

The point would be providing a useable service for their customers.

Sure manage it and let's face it, they're hardly a bastion of customer service themselves.

The infrastructure is not there. It's running at capacity on a normal day. If it was already there is would be being used. 

• Like 1