Manx Telecom caught out by the TT - again

Maybe it's those super slippery fibre cables with 100s of megs and people leaving devices conn'd even when not using them??? You know the type, TV on Disney, laptop on ebay and phone on facebook and that's just one householder!!!😀

38 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Maybe it's those super slippery fibre cables with 100s of megs and people leaving devices conn'd even when not using them??? You know the type, TV on Disney, laptop on ebay and phone on facebook and that's just one householder!!!😀

You mean foolswiththeirmoney

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Well , following on comments above. No internet for me again from 5 pm yesterday to sometime around 1 30 am this morning. Then woke up , always a bonus, at 9 am then nothing all day till 8 pm . Couldn’t get Manx Radio for the racing or any messaging or emails etc. Down my football club from 5 till 7 ish and nobody could access Internet there either. Some not very happy visitors having to use there data from there U.K. sims. Anyone else on here had the same problems.? Not acceptable in any shape of form in my view. 

15 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Hmm....the roaming charges for, say 5000 people, on one of the busiest TT days would not amount to chicken feed.

It certainly pays to be incompetent on the Isle of Man. We have some of the greatest teachers across government to be thankful for that.

People should formally complain to CURA as otherwise this won't get investigated. If MT proved to be incompetent (in this case) then CURA could demand refunds. And there will be one or two shocking roaming bills for some, dependent on their provider/location.

How so? If the capacity is overwhelmed, it's overwhelmed and you aren't getting on. Makes no difference whether you are a local MT customer or a "roaming" visitor. You don't change sims to a UK one and somehow magically bypass the logjam in the network that everybody is using.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, woolley said:

How so? If the capacity is overwhelmed, it's overwhelmed and you aren't getting on. Makes no difference whether you are a local MT customer or a "roaming" visitor. You don't change sims to a UK one and somehow magically bypass the logjam in the network that everybody is using.

No you’re probably right. The bikers around me were on the Football clubs WiFi and they probably switched to roaming and coincidentally got connection for a short time. They all said they had been having big issues with it. I certainly had. Today it’s settled down and yes it’s dropped but not for long and managed to access when I’ve needed from this afternoon .  

12 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I thought that was just my Vodaphone but stand corrected

However, my point remains valid, Visitors here cannot use their own data from back home. They must use one of the Island providers as none of the UK networks have infrastructure here and only MT seems to be available

Actually you can connect to various UK networks here especially in the north.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Actually you can connect to various UK networks here especially in the north.

Well my UK mobile has never connected to it's home provider here. You may be correct. Not that useful at the grandstand though is it?

• Like 1

time someone asked where all MT profit was going    there seems to have been very little investment in the service other than the money the Manx Government has pumped into fibre  given we were ahead of the rest a few years ago we have  certainly   slipped down the  list of decent   reasonably priced   reliable  telecoms providers .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Looks like manx telecom have launched PAYG  e sims . Saw a post today on their Facebook page ..

You were lucky to be able to access their site. My internet has been non existent again for the past 5 hrs . Just back now but don’t hold out much hope !   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

time someone asked where all MT profit was going    there seems to have been very little investment in the service other than the money the Manx Government has pumped into fibre  given we were ahead of the rest a few years ago we have  certainly   slipped down the  list of decent   reasonably priced   reliable  telecoms providers .

We were never ahead of the rest. MT's advertising is always misleading.

The only thing they've ever been world class at is ripping people off.

• Like 1