The Fair

There have been the usual moans on social media about the ridiculously high prices charged at the fair some people have defended it as they say the high cost of electricity is partly to blame and it has made me wonder if they have their own generators or do they have some means of plugging into the mains and if so how is their usage calculated for payment.

I believe the fair has proved a focus for anti-social behaviour by some of our young people. At least it will have distracted them from banging on restaurant windows and throwing eggs at elderly gentlemen, as they are normally wont to do.

2 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

A lady was saying she budgeted all year so she could take her children to the fair but the question I am asking is who foots the substantial electricity bill.

Carnies will have a bridge on the meter

I dislike the fair, but I went with the boy because that's what you have to do. It is hard not to feel ripped off - the ghost train lasted two minutes and was crap and cost 50p less than the actual train which isn't crap. But it's the fair, you know that its shit and loud and busy and smelly and horrible and expensive, its ok. It is a good thing that it comes, it could be better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I dislike the fair, but I went with the boy because that's what you have to do. It is hard not to feel ripped off - the ghost train lasted two minutes and was crap and cost 50p less than the actual train which isn't crap. But it's the fair, you know that its shit and loud and busy and smelly and horrible and expensive, its ok. It is a good thing that it comes, it could be better.

Agreed, it seems substantially smaller than previous years.  My daughter reminded me how I used to divert from driving along the prom when my son was young, to avoid the pester power.  He thought it was only over for one day. 

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

They have their own generators don’t they?

It’s expensive but with the way costs are going I’m not surprised. I don’t think it’s worth the money, even at the “discount prices” today, but each to their own. I don’t think £65 for a Peter Hickman hoody is good value either (especially not at £20 more than the TT merch hoody) but you couldn’t move for them this week.

I can’t imagine the carnival accident at the Lambeth Country Fair in London this weekend will help with their insurance overheads.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Your usual positive outlook on life then.😁

18 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

They have their own generators don’t they?

It’s expensive but with the way costs are going I’m not surprised. I don’t think it’s worth the money, even at the “discount prices” today, but each to their own. I don’t think £65 for a Peter Hickman hoody is good value either (especially not at £20 more than the TT merch hoody) but you couldn’t move for them this week.

I can’t imagine the carnival accident at the Lambeth Country Fair in London this weekend will help with their insurance overheads.

Yes they're mounted on the tractor units and usually pissing oil everywhere.

images (59).jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure why it’s bought over TT week. I don’t imagine many of the customers are TT visitors. God knows they are paying enough for other stuff already. It seems to me that the clientele are largely the children of locals  ( how many visitors bring their children during TT?) and the locals themselves.

Wouldn't it be better for it to come over at a different time when the boats are less full ( less expensive?)

There may well be a good explanation for why it’s here at this time.

From a personal perspective I’d be more than happy if it didn’t come over at all. You can get through £50 in a matter of minutes treating the grandchildren.

Yes it’s nice to see their happy faces when they’ve been on a few rides but not the inevitable tantrums when you explain to them you are not John Paul Getty and thats their lot.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not sure why it’s bought over TT week. I don’t imagine many of the customers are TT visitors. God knows they are paying enough for other stuff already. It seems to me that the clientele are largely the children of locals  ( how many visitors bring their children during TT?) and the locals themselves.

Wouldn't it be better for it to come over at a different time when the boats are less full ( less expensive?)

There may well be a good explanation for why it’s here at this time.

From a personal perspective I’d be more than happy if it didn’t come over at all. You can get through £50 in a matter of minutes treating the grandchildren.

Yes it’s nice to see their happy faces when they’ve been on a few rides but not the inevitable tantrums when you explain to them you are not John Paul Getty and thats their lot.

I did wonder why it's here for TT week myself. Maybe because the kids are on hol here and not the UK. 

Is it brought over of do they choose to come that week?