The Lanky

Gladys

Yes, Phil W St johns. I'm not too concerned about the housing development but that high kerb by the Pub? The traffic island just beyond? DoI should have stepped in to contour the road for safe road traffic surely? I just presumed that the houses were finished and that access was from the side road. Should never be allowed from the main road!!!

The onus is on the driver but there is a requirement for the DoI to make it as safe as possible surely?

Another curiosity is the detatched house on the corner at at Ballabeg/ Colby? Seem to rem it was to be a residence and commercial property, retail or Vets surgery, permission granted but then, nothing, many years for sale. Was the permission really being stuck to after so many years???

Time to let go surely???

On 6/10/2024 at 8:29 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

The Lancashire Arms in polite company surely.

So Lancy it is then, but phonetically that looks like a soft 'c'. So Lanky is more correct perhaps, but never Lanchy, that is just wrong.

Can I just say, Department of Local Government and Environment or DoLGE was always called 'dolgee' (with a hard 'G' as in 'Government', but the guy who was head at the Water Authority always pronounced it as a soft G, so 'doljee'. It used to get on my tits no end and I wanted to call the twat a twat but it's difficult when he's your boss.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Another curiosity is the detatched house on the corner at at Ballabeg/ Colby? Seem to rem it was to be a residence and commercial property, retail or Vets surgery, permission granted but then, nothing, many years for sale. Was the permission really being stuck to after so many years???

Time to let go surely???

Use changed to tourist accommodation in 2017 (including upstairs flat)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Always been “Lanky” to me

And Manx Arms  “ Manxie” 

. . . and Victoria Tavern - The Dog's?  (That's HOME, not Bollocks)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Is there any pub on the island whose pool table has not been sullied? 

Not forgetting the snooker table in the bar of the Old Nurses Home, back in the day…if the rumours were true…

• Haha 1

Funnily enough I was chatting to an Architect at the weekend and these came up.  He also said that they were built to the wrong height. 

At least they got rid of the crane that must have been there for about 5 years when it all stalled after they were mostly built.

What also cropped up in the conversation was the number of massive old mansions recently popping up on the market.  Judging by the decor, a lot of old rich people appear to have died recently. 

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

What also cropped up in the conversation was the number of massive old mansions recently popping up on the market.  Judging by the decor, a lot of old rich people appear to have died recently. 

Shame...though an inheritance tax would get us out of a lot of financial trouble, and keep the government happily bloated and inefficient for another 30 years.