Public sector want inflation busting rises again

Banker

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But little of that is about comparison with T&Cs between PS and private sector which is what this debate is about.

The T&Cs are mildly better, and the pay is worse. You pays your money you takes your choice...

And incompetence tends to get emptied a lot, lot quicker in the private sector because it impacts the bottom line.

Massively disagree. Firing people is difficult, and expensive.

Do you think Peel Ports would have tolerated the conduct leading to the £100M costs associated with Liverpool Terminal, had they been building it?

Privately funded projects run over budget all the time.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

The T&Cs are mildly better, and the pay is worse. You pays your money you takes your choice...

Massively disagree. Firing people is difficult, and expensive.

Privately funded projects run over budget all the time.

Which department are you in?, you only start getting involved in posts if it involves any criticism of a public servant for their pay!

• Haha 1

Just now, Banker said:

Which department are you in?, you only start getting involved in posts if it involves any criticism of a public servant for their pay!

You're free to look at my profile to see that I stick my oar into all sorts.

Or to take me up on an offer I've made you previously, 10k in escrow and I'll show you proof of my lack of public sector employment. If I'm lying you take my cash, if I'm telling the truth I'll take yours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Holidays as advertised start at 21 days pa plus a career-increasing number of privilege days and observance of every public and bank holiday (10 days as advertised), which many private sector employers do not; that can soon rack up to 7 or 8 weeks holiday a year

It can’t. It’s 21 days, plus 10 public holidays, plus 1 privilege day that was only reinstated last year. 32 days is not 7 or 8 weeks.

I agree that IOM employment law is particularly weak on this though, stating a minimum of 20 days paid leave. In the UK the minimum paid leave is 28 days.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

And incompetence tends to get emptied a lot, lot quicker in the private sector because it impacts the bottom line.

I’ve had the pleasure in my career of working in the private sector, the public sector, and the charitable sector.

Incompetence doesn’t get emptied out of the private sector any quicker than any other sector. Especially as the absolute worst cases of nepotism I’ve ever seen have all been in the private sector. It’s amazing what banging the boss’ daughter does for the career prospects of the otherwise talentless.

Do you think Peel Ports would have tolerated the conduct leading to the £100M costs associated with Liverpool Terminal, had they been building it?

Construction projects go over-budget all the time. The Trafford Centre, which eventually cost Peel £700m to build, went way way way over budget.

Edited by Ringy Rose

Good news! Alf has asked the CEO and the chief officer team to conduct an efficiency review into headcount and delivery across central Government departments and report back to him in November.

You'll be able to count on 1 hand (and won't even need that) the number of job reductions that will come from this task.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

It can’t. It’s 21 days, plus 10 public holidays, plus 1 privilege day that was only reinstated last year. 32 days is not 7 or 8 weeks.

21 days plus 10 days plus one privilege day as a starting point is 32 days. Then you can add on the extra entitlements after one and three years and extra privilege days that can be accrued over long employment.

32 days as a starting point is only 3 days short of 35 days, which is seven working weeks of five days per week. 40 days is 8 weeks.

Screenshot_20240618-161245_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
screenshot

58 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Good news! Alf has asked the CEO and the chief officer team to conduct an efficiency review into headcount and delivery across central Government departments and report back to him in November.

You'll be able to count on 1 hand (and won't even need that) the number of job reductions that will come from this task.

Sadly I agree. If cuts happen that would be an admission that his policy and recruitment has been wrong. First thing they should do is halt recruitment , apart from health care staff and when the review has been carried out make decisions on staff levels then. I’m not holding my breath ! . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 4

And if I’m being really honest they just need to save time and look at management and the various levels. Ohhh and then their dreamed up job titles. In my dealings over the last year with government departments it’s clear coal face staff work hard while their bosses are swinging the lead . And in lots of cases have always done and don’t know any different. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/cannan-pledges-to-get-a-grip-of-government-headcount-697968

"‘Part of this “grip” of headcount will require a full audit and cleanse of PiP, our personnel information system, so that you can be confident of data,’ he told Tynwald."

What is PiP?

To use internal staff to conduct an audit of this kind, is not sensible. There is a conflict of interest.

Can you imagine the current Chief Secretary (who prefers the title of Chief Executive Officer) bragging that he has made severe cuts to the organisation?

• Like 1

21 days plus 10 days plus one privilege day as a starting point is 32 days. Then you can add on the extra entitlements after one and three years and extra privilege days that can be accrued over long employment.

32 days as a starting point is only 3 days short of 35 days, which is seven working weeks of five days per week. 40 days is 8 weeks.

Screenshot_20240618-161245_Samsung Internet.jpg

Since when have public holidays counted as annual leave. Starting point is 21 days. Period. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/cannan-pledges-to-get-a-grip-of-government-headcount-697968

"‘Part of this “grip” of headcount will require a full audit and cleanse of PiP, our personnel information system, so that you can be confident of data,’ he told Tynwald."

What is PiP?

To use internal staff to conduct an audit of this kind, is not sensible. There is a conflict of interest.

Can you imagine the current Chief Secretary (who prefers the title of Chief Executive Officer) bragging that he has made severe cuts to the organisation?

PiP is the personnel information system as it says, where payslips, holidays etc are logged. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

PiP is the personnel information system as it saus, where payslips, holidays etc are logged. 

Wonder is this a reaction to the news the other month about overpayments and the likes on payslips  ?

Edited by Numbnuts

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Since when have public holidays counted as annual leave. Starting point is 21 days. Period. 

I'm not inuding them as annual leave. They are however non-working days.

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

PiP is the personnel information system as it says, where payslips, holidays etc are logged. 

Thanks.

https://hr.gov.im/pip/

I did not see any indication if it is bought-in or home-made. Nevertheless it is a fairly new system, so the need for a deep-clean of the data seems strange.

Cannan's comment that "a full audit and cleanse of PiP," for a system that does payroll is a bit worrying.

My conclusion is either the system is poorly designed, or that they allowed the database to get out of control.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Banker said:

Lots in public sector wouldn’t be paid much if they were being paid on output, it would reduce salary costs substantially!!

How on earth are you going to measure the output of a Nurse?  Fire Officer?  Traffic Warden?  Youth Worker?  Paramedic?  Primary School Teacher?  Administrator at the Manx Museum?  Lifeguard at the NSC?  Porter at Nobles?  How do you measure the output of a private sector worker?  Especially Bankers?  The amount they get bailed out by taxpayers?  £23bn was it?