Public sector want inflation busting rises again

Banker

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The whole lot needs restructuring...jobs re-evaluated independently and likely the complete removal of one or more grades.

…and round we go again…

Politicos aren’t bold enough, CS are turkeys not voting for Christmas…

Heres an idea!   Let’s have an outside consultant/review/report/ignore cycle!

Edited by Jarndyce
Restructured - removed one or more words

The plain simple fact is the island cannot afford its administration ! I begrudge no one a pay rise, but blame must be heaped on successive administrations who have allowed this situation to develop. It's not a case of what would you cut, it's more case of what do we have to cut to restore some balance to public finances.

I accept the politicos find this unpalatable, but there will come a time when action becomes inevitable !

It is far better to make considered decisions than to have to knee jerk because the train has hit the buffers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

Which jobs? Which grades? Specifics please.

I'm assuming you work in government?

If you do, or someone from family does...stop being so defensive, I can guarantee you/they can name at least one non-job manager and at least one person that got promoted not being capable of the role.

• Like 3

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

can guarantee you/they can name at least one non-job manager and at least one person that got promoted not being capable of the role.

Nice deflection. But we’re not talking about individuals, we’re talking about jobs and grades.

So, one again, which jobs and which grades would you abolish?

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

Nice deflection. But we’re not talking about individuals, we’re talking about jobs and grades.

So, one again, which jobs and which grades would you abolish?

Depends on the assessments. I have managed similar downsizing projects in the UK. But, as I mentioned I'd be starting with HR and the Cabinet office...with a separate project looking at Manx Care and the management levels.

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

all of the Cabinet Office

What, you’d get rid of Public Health? Brave choice minister. And you’d get rid of the Government IT support? Maybe we can outsource it all to Fujitsu?

And you’d get rid of HR? All of it? I suppose if you have no payroll and so you can’t pay anyone then that’s one way of saving money…

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

with a separate project looking at Manx Care

Manx Care should never have been set up, it was Alfie C blindly/stupidly following the UK Tories’ privatisation model, but even there most of the cost of it is operational and not managerial.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

What, you’d get rid of Public Health? Brave choice minister. And you’d get rid of the Government IT support? Maybe we can outsource it all to Fujitsu?

And you’d get rid of HR? All of it? I suppose if you have no payroll and so you can’t pay anyone then that’s one way of saving money…

Manx Care should never have been set up, it was Alfie C blindly/stupidly following the UK Tories’ privatisation model, but even there most of the cost of it is operational and not managerial.

Nice deflation. But you contradict yourself there on health.

I’m sure the departments could find savings to fund pay rises if they were told no savings then no pay rises. Ask Albert said cabinet office has the largest number of directors/managers per ordinary staff in any organization so start there.

In private sector if companies can’t afford pay rises without cuts then that’s what happens!

• Like 1

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

But you contradict yourself there on health.

Where?

I asked you what you would cut. In a spirit of solidarity I agreed that Manx Care should never have been set up, because it shouldn’t have been.

Interestingly Manx Care was a political project created by an independent review and driven by the politicians. Careful what you wish for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, asitis said:

The plain simple fact is the island cannot afford its administration ! I begrudge no one a pay rise, but blame must be heaped on successive administrations who have allowed this situation to develop. It's not a case of what would you cut, it's more case of what do we have to cut to restore some balance to public finances.

I accept the politicos find this unpalatable, but there will come a time when action becomes inevitable !

It is far better to make considered decisions than to have to knee jerk because the train has hit the buffers.

It’s a never ending spiral, not helped by IOMG and it’s never ending recruitment of civil servants, additional layers of both bureaucracy and job creation schemes. 

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Where?

I asked you what you would cut. In a spirit of solidarity I agreed that Manx Care should never have been set up, because it shouldn’t have been.

Interestingly Manx Care was a political project created by an independent review and driven by the politicians. Careful what you wish for.

………… it may come true.

The Micheals Review has a lot to answer for, but it could have been worse, with Manx solutions to uniquely Manx problems. 

6 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Where?

Activity/responsibility job assessments are not quite the same.

Inflation may be coming down, but sadly it’s not going to bring down lower costs on the island, especially where it matters in electricity, gas, property and water rates etc. 

• Like 2