Public sector want inflation busting rises again

Banker

43 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

3.25% for this year seems fair, with inflation supposedly being about 2.5%. Although most of the reduced inflation rate now is due to energy cost decreases, and let’s see what happens to gas prices in October.

2.5% next year when the likes of Cornwall Insight are expecting gas prices to go up by between 10% and 15% in October will obviously be more of a sticking point for the unions. Especially as there’s no scope for that to be renegotiated if inflation is higher than now.

It’s part of government offer for second & third years that if CPI higher or lower than 2% then negotiations will be reopened.

someone needs to ask how many public  servants  on over £100k a year can't believe we are advertising for a head of gaming £174k a year  some of these salaries and gold plated pensions need to be reviewed   no wonder there is nothing left to actually provided services anymore 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

someone needs to ask how many public  servants  on over £100k a year can't believe we are advertising for a head of gaming £174k a year  some of these salaries and gold plated pensions need to be reviewed   no wonder there is nothing left to actually provided services anymore 

There was a Tynwald question about it, most are in health.  The alarming thing is how many have popped up since Covid in non health roles 

The unions are advising their members to reject this offer, if they do so then the horse-trading begins. They won't accept less than inflation plus a small percentage for "improvement".

Govt will capitulate for fear of PS unrest and I'm going to predict a settlement in excess of 4% for the first year with various sweeteners thrown in.

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The unions are advising their members to reject this offer, if they do so then the horse-trading begins. They won't accept less than inflation plus a small percentage for "improvement".

Govt will capitulate for fear of PS unrest and I'm going to predict a settlement in excess of 4% for the first year with various sweeteners thrown in.

Meanwhile in the real world we'll just have to get by with no pay rise and dig deeper to fund the PS/CS ones!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

There was a Tynwald question about it, most are in health.  The alarming thing is how many have popped up since Covid in non health roles 

The most recent oral question was in June Tynwald:

8. The Hon. Member for Douglas Central, Mr Thomas, to ask the Minister for the Treasury –

How the salary information for staff with annual remuneration above £100,000 on page 93 of the March 2023 Annual Financial Statements (GD 2023/0130) was obtained; if he will detail the roles and employing bodies of these staff; how these roles are evaluated and graded; and if he will make a statement.

The trouble is I can't find the answer on the listen files.  Every other question seems to be there and Tynwald Twitter suggests it took 11 minutes to answer.  

The table referred to was discussed on MF on the Budget thread.

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The most recent oral question was in June Tynwald:

8. The Hon. Member for Douglas Central, Mr Thomas, to ask the Minister for the Treasury –

How the salary information for staff with annual remuneration above £100,000 on page 93 of the March 2023 Annual Financial Statements (GD 2023/0130) was obtained; if he will detail the roles and employing bodies of these staff; how these roles are evaluated and graded; and if he will make a statement.

The trouble is I can't find the answer on the listen files.  Every other question seems to be there and Tynwald Twitter suggests it took 11 minutes to answer.  

The table referred to was discussed on MF on the Budget thread.

I'm sure they "declined" to answer that question and/or it was skirted around, it was discussed on these boards.

3 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

In my view that's not a like-for-like comparison. That reflects people seeking higher paying jobs & grades in the private sector (in addition to the component of annual wage increase in the same role).

In the CS there has been grade/band inflation over time with a greater proportion of roles HEO/SEO (as in the private sector) which has seen the overall pay structure increase much more than the annual pay raises.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm sure they "declined" to answer that question and/or it was skirted around, it was discussed on these boards.

That was in May, to do with when Thomas had tried to force an answer to his original Written Question by putting down a Tynwald Motion.  He then withdrew his Motion, presumably because they answered it last minutes and weeks late.  I suspect Skelly told him it was now out or order, even though the answer was basically "Fuck Off!".  Thomas had another go in June

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That was in May, to do with when Thomas had tried to force an answer to his original Written Question by putting down a Tynwald Motion.  He then withdrew his Motion, presumably because they answered it last minutes and weeks late.  I suspect Skelly told him it was now out or order, even though the answer was basically "Fuck Off!".  Thomas had another go in June

If all is well with Govt numbers and remuneration, as Alf periodically advises us (and who advises Alf?), one might wonder the need for the regular questions (or attempts to elicit answers) from Thomas, Edge, Moorhouse and Co.

Then again, one might also wonder what progress is being made with Alf's request for a review of the Govt employment files?

• Like 2