Public sector want inflation busting rises again

Banker

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Less stress? Nope

30 years before riding off into the sunset? Nope its now close to 40 years with nearly 15% of your salary going towards the pension

Good money for dealing with someone off their heads on drink or drugs? Nope

Compared to the same job in the UK, I would argue yes. Sure, getting punched in the mouth hurts wherever you are but the likelihood of it happening here is obviously a lot lower. 

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Compared to the same job in the UK, I would argue yes. Sure, getting punched in the mouth hurts wherever you are but the likelihood of it happening here is obviously a lot lower. 

unless you frequent 1886 or the surrounding area, then the likelihood increases exponentially 

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Don't forget coming back in for a double-dip after retirement to cover for problems in recruitment. And there's always the goal of a Holy Grail placement on the Motorsports committee.

I've heard of that happening, but surely it's only offered to former officers with relevant experience, and not all retiring officers, irrespective of their experience?  I don't know.

If so, that kind of makes sense, as otherwise that experience is lost, and the government would have to employ some other 'expert' to do the same job.  Their success rate in that respect is well known.

An officer retiring after 30 years could be as young as 48.  Nice if you can afford to fully retire at that age, but they might have children to put through further education, for example, or simply feel that they're too young to fully retire.  

5 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

40 doesn't sound terrible for the Isle of Man, it's not a huge catchment and most recruitment campaigns would be happy with that level of interest, although it probably needs to be higher to retain current levels.

There are circa 200 police officers I believe so they probably need to recruit 15-20 a year to keep up with churn. Perhaps they need to be less fussy.

1 minute ago, Mercenary said:

40 doesn't sound terrible for the Isle of Man, it's not a huge catchment and most recruitment campaigns would be happy with that level of interest, although it probably needs to be higher to retain current levels.

There are circa 200 police officers I believe so they probably need to recruit 15-20 a year to keep up with churn. Perhaps they need to be less fussy.

There may be a couple previously employed at Manchester airport who may become available.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There may be a couple previously employed at Manchester airport who may become available.

£46K for a police officer with 3 years service   not bad for a bobbys job in the isle of man  but thats just the start  the rush will be on for the rest of the public sector to use this figure as a bench mark  for a pay increase   Dr Death better get some more money printed  ,if we are over budget  now on many things such as health  lord knowns where this lot will finish up  just watch everyone jump on the band waggon 

20 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Maybe go out on patrol with officers and get a first hand knowledge of what they deal with then come back and see if your opinion changes. I always laugh when people compare policing here to the UK I'd argue that it's tougher here. In the UK they have teams designated for things so if you're a uniformed officer your job is to arrest, there's then an interview team then a team that does the file for court. Here a response officer does everything, arrest, interview, enquiries, charge, file for court. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Maybe go out on patrol with officers and get a first hand knowledge of what they deal with then come back and see if your opinion changes. I always laugh when people compare policing here to the UK I'd argue that it's tougher here. In the UK they have teams designated for things so if you're a uniformed officer your job is to arrest, there's then an interview team then a team that does the file for court. Here a response officer does everything, arrest, interview, enquiries, charge, file for court. 

Paperwork and office admin; that's not tougher, certainly physically. When was the last time that IoM Police had to deal with a Southport (or anywhere else) violent riot scenario?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Paperwork and office admin; that's not tougher, certainly physically. When was the last time that IoM Police had to deal with a Southport (or anywhere else) violent riot scenario?

Most days they deal with violent disorder. People seem to think the iom is a place nothing happens you'd be very surprised at what doesn't get reported

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Most days they deal with violent disorder. People seem to think the iom is a place nothing happens you'd be very surprised at what doesn't get reported

Not in the least bit suprised, usually depends on who you are as to whether its reported or not.

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

That's maybe one or two individuals, pissheads fighting outside the pub or maybe a domestic. I'm talking about 20+ people throwing bits of wall and anything else to hand.

When was a policeman last stabbed, shot, SERIOUSLY injured or killed over here in violence in the course of their duty (TT marshalling death and the odd bruise doesn't count)? Sorry, there can be no comparison in policing the streets here with the risks of policing those in UK. Yet.

As Mike Culverhouse himself reminded his force; "You're patrolling Braddan, not Baghdad".