Taylor Swift

For my sins I watched a clip of her performing in Edinburgh the other night.

She’s not my cup of tea but seems to be very popular.

Anyway my point is she was alone on a big stage, singing and strumming her guitar.

There was no sign of her backing band, drummer(s) bass guitarist or whatever.

Just struck me as a bit disrespectful, and if I was there would have liked to have seen them as they are an integral part of the show.

Thats all

41 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Anyway my point is she was alone on a big stage, singing and strumming her guitar.

Just struck me as a bit disrespectful, and if I was there would have liked to have seen them as they are an integral part of the show.

Thats all

They do seem to stay with her for the long haul.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2024/03/22/eras-tour-cast-meet-taylor-swifts-dancers-singers-and-band-members/73020978007/

14 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I really don't see the appeal of her, her music is pretty much the same each song but I suppose she isn't marketed for people like me so fair play to her getting such a following.

She's worth about $2 Billion now.

16 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thats all

Must have been just that clip/one song.

I've seen some other clips and most of the Eras documentary with my daughter and there were dancers and backing singers galore.  My daughter is a bit young for a concert right now, but in a few years I'd take her to a Swift concert for sure (if I can get tickets).  I find her music ok, but if you actually listen to her lyrics a lot of it is actually quite clever and funny: 

"I'm nightmare dressed like a daydream"

"my covert narcissism I disguise as altruism"

Frankly she's a cultural phenomenon.  No artist has ever done a tour the size of Eras.  She appears quite a good role model for kids, I don't think we'll see her having a drug induced breakdown anytime soon and she also doesn't push any kind of sexualism (i.e. you won't see her posing in bikinis and lingerie).

Time projected in August 2023 that Swift’s tour could “generate close to $5bn in consumer spending” in the US. It mapped out the scale, suggesting that typically every $100 spent on live shows means $300 in ancillary local spending (notably travel, food and hotels); for Swift’s tour that ancillary spending per fan ballooned to $1,300-1,500.  

Her four Tokyo shows, to 220,000 fans, in February added ¥34.1bn (£183m) to the Japanese economy according to a report by the Economic Impact Research Laboratory.  

Thailand claimed Taylor Swift was offered subsidies of $2-3m per show to make her Singapore performances a regional exclusive. The Singaporean government disputed the amount, but did not outright deny the accusation of exclusivity economics. Erica Tay, director of macroeconomic research at Maybank, estimated the shows would boost the country’s economy by S$500m (£293m).  

I'm sure we'll get some statisticians on the case for the UK leg in due course.  But at the moment it's estimated it will be about £1B.  

My favorite Swiftinomics fact was when she left her record label, they sold her early music rights to someone she had some sort of beef with and was told she might not be able to perform them without paying royalties.  So over covid she re-recorded the albums as well as two new ones and re-released reclaiming the rights to new masters of the songs, as 'Taylor's Version' as a rather impressive 'fuck you'. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

The first time I heard Taylor Swift she was just 16, singing a song she wrote and played. The song was called Tim McGraw. I bought the CD immediately, and declared, mark my words, she is going to be huge!

I was right. I am not a big fan of her more modern music. The last CD I bought was 1989, some years ago. I like her. Good luck to her, although I don’t think she needs it! 

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 11:50 AM, The Phantom said:

Frankly she's a cultural phenomenon.  No artist has ever done a tour the size of Eras.  She appears quite a good role model for kids, I don't think we'll see her having a drug induced breakdown anytime soon and she also doesn't push any kind of sexualism (i.e. you won't see her posing in bikinis and lingerie).

A, hem

image.jpeg.fccc0069120f771da400ce3fab1b2aab.jpeg

Not that I was searching for any such images!

Edited by The Voice of Reason