Kings Birthday Honours 2024

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

No I just think the honour system is bollocks. If gongs are being given out should go to people who help in their community and make a difference, not to celebrities who are already well rewarded for their chosen fields

Now now,they did give one to Jimmy Saville.,Rolf Harris,Robert Mugabe,Harvey Weinstein and Ceaucescu. Oh hang on,I see your point.

• Sad 1

To be fair, cycling is what the Aussies would call "just a sitting down sport".

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

only trouble is I think Cav is a Laxey and Lonan boy  no good putting a statue in Douglas , but in fairness he has really put the Isle of Man on the map regarding cycling , an outstanding sportsman  and its never gone to his head , 

Well worthy of the Knighthood  which also involves his charity work ,  good luck to him and if he pulls off another Tour De France stage will he will have the outright record . what an achievement !!!!!

Bee Gees were KM and barely brought up here. Cav went to Ballakermeen, did his early track miles at the NSC and parent(s) later on moved to Douglas?

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

The guy Bates from the post office scandal totally deserves his, selfless work on behalf of others when he could have just walked away

Begs the question from me regarding your earlier statement about awards being for people who do public service being rewarded - where do you sit on CS or Police getting a gong for doing their jobs ? Example KenTomlinson took the Hospital millions over budget GONG Ashford GONG, Quayle GONG Tony fucking Brown GONG - do you mean service to the community or getting paid to do the job you signed up for - that’s the one I’ve never understood “For Services to Policing” it’s your fucking job invariably with a Pension.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Begs the question from me regarding your earlier statement about awards being for people who do public service being rewarded - where do you sit on CS or Police getting a gong for doing their jobs ? Example KenTomlinson took the Hospital millions over budget GONG Ashford GONG, Quayle GONG Tony fucking Brown GONG - do you mean service to the community or getting paid to do the job you signed up for - that’s the one I’ve never understood “For Services to Policing” it’s your fucking job invariably with a Pension.

I agree shouldn't get one

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

No I just think the honour system is bollocks. If gongs are being given out should go to people who help in their community and make a difference, not to celebrities who are already well rewarded for their chosen fields

You do know he didn't just get the knighthood for cycling...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

A gong is a handy sweetener when you want to get rid of someone, then you can recruit fresh. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Ron Berry? What's that all about? (and who he anyway?)
Awards01.png.57f750b9041841905b10ebbab57cdd05.png

Services to Broadcasting as the previous owner of 3FM?

What about George Ferguson then? I would have thought far more deserving. Clearly Ron has worked his brand of flannel on Sir John.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Ron Berry? What's that all about? (and who he anyway?)
Awards01.png.57f750b9041841905b10ebbab57cdd05.png

It's this Governor's Commendation thing that Lorimer seems to have dreamt up as a sort of 'best of the rest' honour for people who were perhaps nominated, but the gongs went to others.  IOM Newspapers has more on Berry and his award for "services to charitable causes in the Isle of Man"

These commendations seem to be announced separately from the other awards, which I'm sure explains why Manx Radio didn't mention it.  Not because they were sulking at seeing a rival recognised, certainly not that.

Incidentally the Guardian, rather than just repeating the Dot Tilbury quote in the press release, seem to have rung her up and got a full interview.

• Like 1