Kings Birthday Honours 2024

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's this Governor's Commendation thing that Lorimer seems to have dreamt up as a sort of 'best of the rest' honour for people who were perhaps nominated, but the gongs went to others.  IOM Newspapers has more on Berry and his award for "services to charitable causes in the Isle of Man"

I think I would need a bit more information than that nebulous waffle about charities stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I like Ron, but have never considered him particularly gongworthy (although of course this isn't an acshul gong)

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's this Governor's Commendation thing that Lorimer seems to have dreamt up as a sort of 'best of the rest' honour for people who were perhaps nominated, but the gongs went to others.

In which case Lorimer certainly gets my thanks. Especially given the contribution that these "lessers" have frequently made, vs who the system gives gongs to, local establishment-wise.

Let's consider Brown, Bell, Ashford, Quayle for starters and the contribution they made and the legacies. Then add on the future likelihood of Cannan and Skelly. Not to exclude the CS.

Vomit-inducing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's this Governor's Commendation thing that Lorimer seems to have dreamt up as a sort of 'best of the rest' honour for people who were perhaps nominated, but the gongs went to others.  IOM Newspapers has more on Berry and his award for "services to charitable causes in the Isle of Man"

These commendations seem to be announced separately from the other awards, which I'm sure explains why Manx Radio didn't mention it.  Not because they were sulking at seeing a rival recognised, certainly not that.

Incidentally the Guardian, rather than just repeating the Dot Tilbury quote in the press release, seem to have rung her up and got a full interview.

That will be Sir John Lorimer to you...

Just read on the 3fm website that the Leftenant Guvenor Commendation Award has been awarded to …………… Ron Berry ……… for services to Charity. It wasn’t publicised with the Birthday Honours recipients for the island.

43 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Just read on the 3fm website that the Leftenant Guvenor Commendation Award has been awarded to …………… Ron Berry ……… for services to Charity. It wasn’t publicised with the Birthday Honours recipients for the island.

It was on this very thread on Saturday 15th…

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I'm another one for the Knighthood for the ex postmaster Alan Bates and his exposure of the cover up of false imprisonment by the Great British establishment. Can also see him returning it when the whitewashed outcome is complete.

Lovely moment in the PO Inquiry yesterday.  When starting to give his evidence, one of the 2nd Sight guys was asked, as is normal, to confirm his witness statement.  He said that he had one amendment to it referring to a specific paragraph, in which he wanted to change Alan Bates' name to include 'Sir'.  

Of course, that was met with a cheer from those present. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 12:56 AM, Non-Believer said:

In which case Lorimer certainly gets my thanks.

12 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Or the latest freeloading colonel blimp.

He seems like a genuinely good dude and he has impressed me greatly.  Far more of a statesman than any of our Politicos and he is really getting involved with the local community.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Lovely moment in the PO Inquiry yesterday.  When starting to give his evidence, one of the 2nd Sight guys was asked, as is normal, to confirm his witness statement.  He said that he had one amendment to it referring to a specific paragraph, in which he wanted to change Alan Bates' name to include 'Sir'.  

Of course, that was met with a cheer from those present. 

To be fair, it was not really a cheer, the sub-postmasters are rather more dignified, respectful and reserved to allow such emotions to be shown in a court of Inquiry. But yes, the effect was the same.

8 minutes ago, Barlow said:

To be fair, it was not really a cheer, the sub-postmasters are rather more dignified, respectful and reserved to allow such emotions to be shown in a court of Inquiry. But yes, the effect was the same.

Thanks Barlow, perhaps it was me who cheered! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Or the latest freeloading colonel blimp.

I have had the pleasure of meeting him a number of times and he really is a nice guy, interested in the Isle of Man and gets involved in a lot of things. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I have had the pleasure of meeting him a number of times and he really is a nice guy, interested in the Isle of Man and gets involved in a lot of things. 

Let's not forget his distinguished military career. Nothing like Field Marshal the Lord Admiral Marshal of the Airforce Juan Watterson's of course but we all have to aspire to something...

• Like 1

All very nice, 17 TT Wins, 31 podium finishes 60 starts. Surely that should have been worth a pat on the back, a Life long involvement in the sport and ambassador for the world famous Isle of Man TT races and the Isle of Man.

JUST SAYING