Kings Birthday Honours 2024

To be honest I don't recall anyone political that seems to have garnered such respect in such a short time as Lorimer. 

The only people with beef with 'him' are raging at the position of Governor, not the man himself. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The only people with beef with 'him' are raging at the position of Governor, not the man himself.

Oh, I don’t know - some of the critical posts get a bit personal about his military past.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Not his job. As you rise in seniority the knack is knowing your role. You can't do that pinned down in a tank.

From what I've heard about him, a very respected soldier 

I don't doubt it, and he seems like a very nice man.

I just question the necessity of his post in a time of austerity.  It's very costly, when you take into account his digs, staff, tax free salary etc. I appreciate that some may think it is nice to have, but there's certainly no logic in the argument to keep him.

It's a complete nonsense.

40 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

To be honest I don't recall anyone political that seems to have garnered such respect in such a short time as Lorimer. 

No doubt the likes of Hooperman. who wouldn’t have the bottle to try to get rid of him? After all, Hooperman loves to concern himself with constitutional matters, when the island is in a mess, the most pressing matter is to bash the bishop. 

30 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Oh, I don’t know - some of the critical posts get a bit personal about his military past.

Some people (on here included) seem to think that the military is composed solely of rapists and murderers. 

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Some people (on here included) seem to think that the military is composed solely of rapists and murderers. 

I think it’s good that the Leftenant Guvenor has a good military service record, and obviously good life skills and people skills. In the past former businesspeople and retired bankers and ex diplomats have taken on the role of Leftenant Guvenor. 

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

In the past former businesspeople and retired bankers and ex diplomats have taken on the role of Leftenant Guvenor. 

Ex-diplomats certainly but not the others.  If you go back to 1919, when the last of the old-style all-powerful LGs, the widely-loathed Raglan, left and look at those appointed since, there are nine ex-diplomats etc (most in the early years were former colonial civil servants) and three each from the Army, Navy and Air Force.  But no civilians from outside government employed circles.

• Like 1