Zip wire. Top of Snaefell to Laxey

Roger Ram

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I've done a lot of big ones worldwide (Wales, Costa Rica, Laos) and have a lot of experience rigging rope access. 

You mean you're telling us it cant utilise the MER over head cables or their poles

You could imagine to apoplectic response of the calf wardens as thousands (okay let's be sensible 3 or 4 dozen) of people descending, quite literally on the calf at once. Will no one think of the shag's and the fact they most likely like to fornicate outdoors in their own private realm whenever the urge happens. Go on tell me it ain't happened. 😇

Zip World operate three sites in North Wales and, having visited all, if the IoM was to look to one to "copy"  I expect it would be based on the one near Betwys Y Coed. https://www.zipworld.co.uk/location/fforest as in my view that would be far more suitable for the IoM. 

It offers 5 or 6 different attractions plus accommodation. The Zip Safari/Tree hoppers is like a much bigger/higher version of Ape Man in South Barrule and the toboggan style roller coasters goes pretty fast especially if they tell you how to override the automatic braking at some of the fast corners which otherwise kicks in if you don't brake.

There are other attractions in the area which are great for families and which might be suitable for IoM e.g.  near Blaenau Ffestiniog they have created various hill mountain bike trails for a range of abilities where they give you a lift to the top with your bike. https://www.anturstiniog.com/

Edited by Garteth T
  • Like 1

The zip line idea is very fanciful.

Something I'd be looking at if I were part of visitIoM would be rock climbing. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult or expensive to select some cliffs or an old quarry and put climbing points in, make some cool routes. Not a cheap sport, done right it would likely attract the kind of better off tourist they want. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 11:43 AM, Garteth T said:

Zip World operate three sites in North Wales and, having visited all, if the IoM was to look to one to "copy"  I expect it would be based on the one near Betwys Y Coed. https://www.zipworld.co.uk/location/fforest as in my view that would be far more suitable for the IoM. 

It offers 5 or 6 different attractions plus accommodation. The Zip Safari/Tree hoppers is like a much bigger/higher version of Ape Man in South Barrule and the toboggan style roller coasters goes pretty fast especially if they tell you how to override the automatic braking at some of the fast corners which otherwise kicks in if you don't brake.

There are other attractions in the area which are great for families and which might be suitable for IoM e.g.  near Blaenau Ffestiniog they have created various hill mountain bike trails for a range of abilities where they give you a lift to the top with your bike. https://www.anturstiniog.com/

Apemann is reasonably well set up and run with decent facilities, it's just not very big.  It all comes down to footfall.  Would there be enough to warrant a larger operation?  I'm sure they would consider it if required, but they probably do have one of the better spots all ready set up.  Anything bigger or better would be in direct competition.  Although I wouldn't put it past Govt do this, or kick them out and take-over whenever whatever lease they have with DEFA is up. 

They also have mountain bike trails in South Barrule and many in other Plantations that are easily accessed nearby.  The End2end slowly died of due to waning interest in XC but the Island already has a very successful mountain bike Enduro series that does attract visitors and they even had some pros over last year for the 2 day event.  There were some good reports on in it in some MTB magazines and online.  Next one is in a week or two I think.   Some of the downhill boys do organize occasional uplifts especially in Cringle.  Again, all comes down to foot (or pedal) fall.  If it was viable to run, they would do it.

21 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The zip line idea is very fanciful.

Something I'd be looking at if I were part of visitIoM would be rock climbing. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult or expensive to select some cliffs or an old quarry and put climbing points in, make some cool routes. Not a cheap sport, done right it would likely attract the kind of better off tourist they want. 

I have heard mention of potentially putting some sport climbing (bolted) routes in at the Quarry at South Barrule as part of that whole Adventure Central area. 

However the rest of our climbing is 99% sea cliffs with obvious weather issues.  Plus most of our rock is pretty shit - friable and sharp unless someone is actively 'gardening' it. 

Hot Rocks used to be roped, but has now gone to bouldering instead.  Allegedly it is more popular, but I think it was just easier from a H&S angle, as supervising people with ropes who claim they know how to tie knots is pretty stressful. 

Edited by The Phantom

12 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Apemann is reasonably well set up and run with decent facilities, it's just not very big.  It all comes down to footfall.  Would there be enough to warrant a larger operation?  I'm sure they would consider it if required, but they probably do have one of the better spots all ready set up.  Anything bigger or better would be in direct competition.  Although I wouldn't put it past Govt do this, or kick them out and take-over whenever whatever lease they have with DEFA is up. 

They also have mountain bike trails in South Barrule and many in other Plantations that are easily accessed nearby.  The End2end slowly died of due to waning interest in XC but the Island already has a very successful mountain bike Enduro series that does attract visitors and they even had some pros over last year for the 2 day event.  There were some good reports on in it in some MTB magazines and online.  Next one is in a week or two I think.   Some of the downhill boys do organize occasional uplifts especially in Cringle.  Again, all comes down to foot (or pedal) fall.  If it was viable to run, they would do it.

I have heard mention of potentially putting some sport climbing (bolted) routes in at the Quarry at South Barrule as part of that whole Adventure Central area. 

However the rest of our climbing is 99% sea cliffs with obvious weather issues.  Plus most of our rock is pretty shit - friable and sharp unless someone is actively 'gardening' it. 

Hot Rocks used to be roped, but has now gone to bouldering instead.  Allegedly it is more popular, but I think it was just easier from a H&S angle, as supervising people with ropes who claim they know how to tie knots is pretty stressful. 

Depressingly this comment probably contains more information than anyone in the Visit 'agency' is likely to have, or even be interested in finding out.  The trouble is these people see their job as 'selling' the Island but ignore the fact that to make a successful sale you need to know what you're selling. 

You do wonder if stuff could be done on a small scale to help firms like ApeMann either expand a bit or with things like marketing.  But our bureaucracy is really only interested in their own 'projects' and prefers working with larger organisations and people from off-Island.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Climbing walls are very popular in the Lake District we could combine these with the zip line and other adventure sports make a proper job of it.

A lot of the population feel like this all the time !

8 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Climbing walls are very popular in the Lake District we could combine these with the zip line and other adventure sports make a proper job of it.

There is Bouldering at Hot Rocks, there is one just opened in a gym in Castletown.  Onchan Scouts have one, there used to be one in one of the Summerland Squash Courts.  The Venture Centre have one on an outside wall.  Honestly, what more do you want?  Do you or have you attended any of these?

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You do wonder if stuff could be done on a small scale to help firms like ApeMann either expand a bit or with things like marketing.  But our bureaucracy is really only interested in their own 'projects' and prefers working with larger organisations and people from off-Island.

The whole South Barrule Adventure area is a interesting case in point.  Apemann and Laserblast, Coffee Cottage (and their quads), the Segway guys (are they still around?) are all based there, plus the mountain bike trails.  Evidently Govt is happy to rent out the plantation somehow and it's a good start.  A while ago I heard there was some sort of expressions of interest for some sort of cafe/welcome center in the car park, not heard anything about that since. 

I know a guy at the Eyrie who wanted to build some holiday chalets, specifically to take advantage of the adventure tourism that could be leveraged close by.  Planning made his life a nightmare, he gave up and sold up. 

At my age it isn’t a viable proposition 🤣 but if these outside activities are being considered surely it would be aimed at tourists.  Centre Parks seem very popular and they are quite expensive to stay perhaps something like that on a smaller scale. The actives that you mention do not seem to be promoted very well.  At least there was a nice little jolly for the people who were looking into possibilities.

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Depressingly this comment probably contains more information than anyone in the Visit 'agency' is likely to have, or even be interested in finding out.  The trouble is these people see their job as 'selling' the Island but ignore the fact that to make a successful sale you need to know what you're selling. 

The Visit IOM crew remind me of contestants on The Apprentice.

Never a more confident bunch of bullshitters are you ever likely to meet.

They have 100% blind faith in their abilities, despite knowing nothing about what they are actually doing. 

In fact let's get the BBC to bring the show here... it made Jersey look good (granted jersey does have advantages over us).