Euros

Roger Ram

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re confusing the right to receive the broadcast ( which may be free to air  but requires a TV licence) and the right to exhibit it to a public audience ( which includes open air, in a pub, hotel etc ) which requires a paid for fee, in fact if there is any music used in the broadcast it requires 3. MPLC, PRS and MPS.

It also depends on what permissions you have from the equipment owner, as to what they licence you to exhibit. Also, their feed may not be via BBC/ITV signal, but a separately licensed paid for sub feed

No I am not confusing anything.  I am fully aware of the above (and the fact that premises without any of the above regularly advertise film nights)

You specifically mentioned not being able to use a home Sky subscription which is correct, but irrelevant in a discussion about pubs who don’t normally show sport who are showing the euros.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re confusing the right to receive the broadcast ( which may be free to air  but requires a TV licence) and the right to exhibit it to a public audience ( which includes open air, in a pub, hotel etc ) which requires a paid for fee, in fact if there is any music used in the broadcast it requires 3. MPLC, PRS and MPS.

It also depends on what permissions you have from the equipment owner, as to what they licence you to exhibit. Also, their feed may not be via BBC/ITV signal, but a separately licensed paid for sub feed

No I am not confusing anything.  I am fully aware of the above (and the fact that premises without any of the above regularly advertise film nights)

You specifically mentioned not being able to use a home Sky subscription which is correct, but irrelevant in a discussion about pubs who don’t normally show sport who are showing the euros.

Posted (edited)

A new bigger screen! It still looks very small if there were people there.

Thankfully there aren’t, so people basically get the same experience as watching at home but with expensive drinks and it’s colder!

IMG_1478.jpeg

Edited by Roger Ram

13 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

Thankfully there aren’t, so people basically get the same experience as watching at home but with expensive drinks and it’s colder!

IMG_1478.jpeg

Do you know what people moan when there is nothing to do, Douglas council have tried to put something on and people still moan, is it any wonder people don't bother sticking their necks out anymore?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Do you know what people moan when there is nothing to do, Douglas council have tried to put something on and people still moan, is it any wonder people don't bother sticking their necks out anymore?

It’s crap.

Done properly it could be great, but this is pants.

IMG_1478.jpeg

Maybe it's just far away.

• Haha 2

IMG_1478.jpeg

Why eg pizzas @ Noa? I prefer Pizzaiolo. Or just Pizza. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

What would you do differently?

A proper big screen somewhere with a couple of food vendors.

Somewhere wide where people can spread out and get close to the screen rather than a road where if any more than a couple of hundred turn up people will be so far back they can’t see what’s going on.

Somewhere that doesn’t block a road.

i guess this is Douglas Town Centre Management or whatever they are, but they are relying on people using the toilets in the local businesses?

Why not outside the Sefton or in the Villa Gardens?  

Edited by Roger Ram

Just now, Roger Ram said:

A proper big screen somewhere with a couple of food vendors.

Somewhere wide where people can spread out and get close to the screen rather than a road where if any more than a couple of hundred turn up people will be so far back they can’t see what’s going on.

Somewhere that doesn’t block a road.

i dudes this is Douglas Town Centre Management or whatever they are, but they are relying on people using the toilets in the local businesses?

Why not outside the Sefton or in the Villa Gardens?  

But it's quite clearly in these early stages the interest isn't there so why the need to cater for hundreds? Maybe later in the tournament and hopefully the weather improves numbers will go up 

On 6/19/2024 at 5:34 AM, John Wright said:

Go read the article. It sets out what events they have permission to exhibit.

As for a pub, yes, they can’t legally just use a home sky subscription. 

To paraphrase something I saw on FB...

The police couldn't find a bloke with half a face running around London, I doubt they're going to be tracking down the landlord of a back street pub for putting a telly on in the bar. 

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

To paraphrase something I saw on FB...

The police couldn't find a bloke with half a face running around London, I doubt they're going to be tracking down the landlord of a back street pub for putting a telly on in the bar. 

No, but the licensing ( not TV ) inspectors might.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, but the licensing ( not TV ) inspectors might.

Easy win I suppose.  Far more difficult to check if they're facilitating under-age drinking, or serving legal measures whatever.  Much easier to give Harry the sack for putting the footie on.