Rationalization of primary schools

Banker

The real savings are from local authority reform.

Desc are correct on this occasion. The aspiration should be for small class sizes - not only in primary but secondary as well. 

Edited by lfc84
  • Like 1

Perhaps when the teachers ask for their next pay increase they should give them the decision...take advantage of the savings or no payrise?

I went to one of the schools on the closure list, as did my own kids, but emotion should be left out of decisions such as this.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Perhaps when the teachers ask for their next pay increase they should give them the decision...take advantage of the savings or no payrise?

I went to one of the schools on the closure list, as did my own kids, but emotion should be left out of decisions such as this.

Some of the schools have smaller classes than KWC and you pay £20k Pa there!

If some of the Primary schools are amalgamated, that could mean more parents' cars on the road, more pollution, less compliance with climate change goals???

.....and fewer Headmasters to throw  water balloons at on sports days!!!

Edited by Kopek

2 hours ago, lfc84 said:

The real savings are from local authority reform.

Desc are correct on this occasion. The aspiration should be for small class sizes - not only in primary but secondary as well. 

No doubt about statement A 

In respect of B, it's a luxury. In HE we are really asking some harsh questions as to whether some courses remain viable. But then we run on business lines. I currently teach a cohort of three at Burnley. Suffice it to say that location option no longer exists.

Times are really hard at present and there has to be some hard choices made. This isn't the 1990's and just continuing to do the nice thing may be the islands undoing

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I’d love to know how much we paid for this report, because the content isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. In typical Tynwald style it’ll probably be a million quid.

FOI it if you want to know

I'd guess £30k

2 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

How?  What do you think is wrong and what should be different?

I think people should be taxed so aggressively on owning outrageous numbers of homes that it becomes not possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HeliX said:

I think people should be taxed so aggressively on owning outrageous numbers of homes that it becomes not possible.

Why?  The island desperately needs more landlords

At the moment they are selling up because of what a nightmare it is becoming to be a landlord and leaving no supply so prices are rising for those who need to rent.

Do you not think the addition fees they have to pay to purchase a property are enough?  Why are they all selling up and leaving a supply and demand nightmare of it is so lucrative?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1