Rationalization of primary schools

Banker

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

It seems to me she is thinking of the next general election. She won’t be popular if she closed Dhoon School. 

It’s also a good test of CM Cannans willingness to solve the islands financial difficulties, which he has failed miserably. 

It seems she is absolutely motivated by self-preservation. Totally irresponsible to dismiss the whole thing.

She should be willing to look at each school, case by case, taking into account other factors such as suitability, life expectancy, and costs of the property, suitability of the alternative school, and so on. Some rationalisation in South Douglas looks more logical than say, Andreas, where the nearest alternative is miles away. 

I hope that Cannan has the balls to tell Caine to go away and look at this more objectively. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It seems she is absolutely motivated by self-preservation. Totally irresponsible to dismiss the whole thing.

She should be willing to look at each school, case by case, taking into account other factors such as suitability, life expectancy, and costs of the property, suitability of the alternative school, and so on. Some rationalisation in South Douglas looks more logical than say, Andreas, where the nearest alternative is miles away. 

I hope that Cannan has the balls to tell Caine to go away and look at this more objectively. 

Yes but whichever way you cut it Dhoon would be right at the top of any list and Daffers would be out

2 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

It's not worth anything the headings have not been copied

The headings are in the same order as in the original document. Bleedin' hell. That RogerMexico has a lot to answer for  - he has set a standard unapproachable by the average semi-moron. Maybe I should have put the headings as a footnote.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The headings are in the same order as in the original document. Bleedin' hell. That RogerMexico has a lot to answer for  - he has set a standard unapproachable by the average semi-moron. Maybe I should have put the headings as a footnote.

This information plus headings was posted on first page of thread!!

30 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Yes but whichever way you cut it Dhoon would be right at the top of any list and Daffers would be out

And this is what is wrong with Manx politics.

She can’t be seen to be doing what is very clearly the best thing for the island (there are schools in Ramsey and Laxey FFS) because the yokels would make sure she didn’t get back in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

This information plus headings was posted on first page of thread!!

But it was not in CSV format!!!

Or ODS!!!!

Or any other format known to a computer!!!!!

(I've run out of exclamation marks.)

This report is clearly b*locks in its methodology 

Creating the impression of science when its really a set of spreadsheets 

A really good example of it’s flawed logic is suggesting that Buscoill Rhumsaa should actually look to shrink numbers… presumably by sending pupils from Ramsey to Sulby which would then be full and need to send pupils in Sulby across to Michael. 

The whole analysis ignores even 5 minutes of scenario testing - I suspect the DESC realised this and was happy for it to be published as it would be derided

In reality, it would make sense to close certain schools…. Ballaugh, the Dhoon and some reorganisation in South Douglas at the top of the list - but this report does not help progress that argument 

23 minutes ago, Nhn said:

This report is clearly b*locks in its methodology 

Creating the impression of science when its really a set of spreadsheets 

A really good example of it’s flawed logic is suggesting that Buscoill Rhumsaa should actually look to shrink numbers… presumably by sending pupils from Ramsey to Sulby which would then be full and need to send pupils in Sulby across to Michael. 

I’m assuming you're a teacher as it proposes the opposite. That they shut Sulby (a small village school) and make people drive to Ramsey just two miles away. 

Edited by Radiolistner

1 hour ago, Radiolistner said:

I’m assuming you're a teacher as it proposes the opposite. That they shut Sulby (a small village school) and make people drive to Ramsey just two miles away. 

No it doesn’t 

It proposes shutting Ballaugh and Andreas (and to the extent relevant the Dhoon)

it also proposes reducing the size of Bunscoill Rhumsaa to make other schools more viable (going from 477 to 420 despite shutting Andreas and Dhoon almost definitely leading to more demand in Ramsey)

I do agree with you, that an arguably equally logical proposal would be to close Sulby, Ballaugh and the Dhoon

Under this proposal, I think you’d actually leave Andreas open as the school north of Ramsey and close Jurby

This would close one more school and Andreas is a better located hub as the other site 

You’d get some reallocation of Sulby and Ballaugh plus virtually all of Jurby to Andreas. This would create a viable school roll in the region of 175

You’d increase Michael roll to probably 130ish - still underweight and then Bunscoill Rhumsaa mops up the rest and probably has in the low 600s by the time some pupils from the Dhoon have come in

Edited by Nhn
  • Like 1