"'No reason to doubt' Liverpool terminal will open this month"

HelmutX

Most ferry terminals have minimal catering facilities for waiting people, why would anyone have the cost of running a cafe for a few people who turn up well before boats come in to meet people? 
Some people just like to whine about everything and souvenir first to complain when the cafe posted a massive loss after serving a few customers over the year.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Most EU airports don't segregate arriving  and departing passengers.Both arriving and departing passengers can use all the airside faciitiies.. UK seems to segregate arriving and departing passengers .

I always thought it was to stop people swapping over.

43 minutes ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

Used it with car at the weekend...my hot take

What are those cobbles about?

Why such a tiny sign at the turn off from the main road?

Couldn't they afford cleaners for the toilets?

Asides from that, worth every penny🤔

Yeah that was my first impression when checking in last Thursday. Place stank of piss, even though they only have one unisex & one disabled toilet downstairs. The whole place gave the impression of being built on the cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, germann said:

The whole place gave the impression of being built on the cheap. 

As it most likely was, though the mark up was eye-watering. God help the ejits that payed for it.    

😁

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 1

The Nice Caring Sharing DoI and IOM SPCO charged a Manx Charity £16,000 for a small space after checkin to use as a quiet/rest room for people who are returning by sea after hospital treatment in Liverpool. 4 easy chairs and a coffee table. ( furniture was paid for by the charity itself ) . They've really been messed around, yes, no, changed minds. The Charity has Patient Transfer quiet waiting rooms at Ronaldsway and Speke and they are a useful resource 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Most EU airports don't segregate arriving  and departing passengers.Both arriving and departing passengers can use all the airside faciitiies.. UK seems to segregate arriving and departing passengers .

That’s not been the case in any EU airport I’ve been to in the last several years. You can often go airside through to departures from arrivals, but you can’t usually go the other way.

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

The Nice Caring Sharing DoI and IOM SPCO charged a Manx Charity £16,000 for a small space after checkin to use as a quiet/rest room for people who are returning by sea after hospital treatment in Liverpool. 4 easy chairs and a coffee table. ( furniture was paid for by the charity itself ) . They've really been messed around, yes, no, changed minds. The Charity has Patient Transfer quiet waiting rooms at Ronaldsway and Speke and they are a useful resource 

Presumably this relates to this Manx Radio story:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/charity-funds-new-patient-room-in-isle-of-man-ferry-terminal/

The sound clip says that the charity also funded the ones at Liverpool and Isle of Man Airports for around £20,000, but it's not clear what that covered.  And it's not clear what guarantees there are that the terminal operators can't just decide to withdraw the facilities if they feel like it.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, John Wright said:

The Nice Caring Sharing DoI and IOM SPCO charged a Manx Charity £16,000 for a small space after checkin to use as a quiet/rest room

Well Alinsons draw down from reserves ain't going to pay for themselves you know. Just imagine what they could charge them for a space on the boat

Edited by Dirty Buggane

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably this relates to this Manx Radio story:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/charity-funds-new-patient-room-in-isle-of-man-ferry-terminal/

The sound clip says that the charity also funded the ones at Liverpool and Isle of Man Airports for around £20,000, but it's not clear what that covered.  And it's not clear what guarantees there are that the terminal operators can't just decide to withdraw the facilities if they feel like it.

I’m vaguely associated in a semi detached way, as I help run the Patient Transfer FB page with one of the main movers.

The £20k covers two larger rooms, for nearly a decade, with refurbs, more furniture, TV,  etc.

They aren’t perfect. Ronaldsway is landside, before security. But there’s a promise of a lounge airside when the departure lounge is refurbed.

Speke doesn’t have a door, it’s a side room off the concourse at the top of the escalators after duty free, behind the lift. It’s on the way to the faith room so it’s quiet.

As far as I’m aware the £16,000 was for a partition wall and door. Never had to pay for structural stuff before. And it was agreed before the structural stuff was completed.

DoI have installed disabled toileting facilities and a changing room. They didn’t get a charity capital contribution towards those.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, lfc84 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/liverpool-ferry-terminal-one-week-on/

Someone should tell Crookall that it's Liverpool City Council. Not County Council

Yes, that mildly-irritated me as well.  He said it twice, so it couldn't be a slip of the tongue and you'd expect a politician ought to know about political structures - if only out of courtesy to the other politicians they're dealing with.

Still, it's only been the City Council since 1974, fifty years ago.  You can't expect the news to have got to Peel yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’m vaguely associated in a semi detached way, as I help run the Patient Transfer FB page with one of the main movers.

The £20k covers two larger rooms, for nearly a decade, with refurbs, more furniture, TV,  etc.

They aren’t perfect. Ronaldsway is landside, before security. But there’s a promise of a lounge airside when the departure lounge is refurbed.

Speke doesn’t have a door, it’s a side room off the concourse at the top of the escalators after duty free, behind the lift. It’s on the way to the faith room so it’s quiet.

As far as I’m aware the £16,000 was for a partition wall and door. Never had to pay for structural stuff before. And it was agreed before the structural stuff was completed.

DoI have installed disabled toileting facilities and a changing room. They didn’t get a charity capital contribution towards those.

Presumably this is a real cost that DOI would have had to pay the contractor (as a change). I get that it's disappointing, but if there is a real cost and they did not have budget for it (clearly way off) then that is the reality.

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, that mildly-irritated me as well.  He said it twice, so it couldn't be a slip of the tongue and you'd expect a politician ought to know about political structures - if only out of courtesy to the other politicians they're dealing with.

Still, it's only been the City Council since 1974, fifty years ago.  You can't expect the news to have got to Peel yet.

If you listen to all the audio it's at least three times. Twice near the start and then towards the end