Where are all the people

GMOLY

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

Do we, or was the letter offering employment a means to get round UK immigration without the people actually needing to arrive here?  

If the letters offering employment were fake, you would hardly expect the prospective 'employee' to turn up in the doorstep of whatever nursing home the letter was supposed to be from without someone raising an issue.  

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/gang-accused-of-charging-people-up-to-ps25000-for-fake-isle-of-man-entry-documents-698207?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3faOwowCCDNaBghLLMdJCXk4CWtImEkXaqarwb1Sc2oogFNDpHRE6rZ6I_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw

That seems to have been exactly what happened. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

He’s not and that was not the point I was making. Just reinforcing the point that it all seems a bit lax currently. I have no problem with anyone coming here wanting to work. But if there’s systems in place to check and make sure there’s not people abusing that procedure. In my experience most coming in legally and through approved channels are a benefit to the Island and are hard workers. 

This recent arrest seems to suggest fake certificates and job offers.  So it would appear that these immigrants actually haven't gone through the visa system at all.

I know the actual process to get the Visa is pretty complex.  It seems from what you are saying, that once they are here, that's when it gets lax and there are no checks to see if they are adhering to the terms of their application. 

Plus there are no checks at our 'border' when people arrive to check their Visas etc.  

Edited by The Phantom

11 hours ago, Radiolistner said:

You wont see the trafficked ones in residential areas anyway. They're all renting really nice 6 bed houses on private exec estates and putting 20 odd people up in them in sleeping bags. 

Wouldn't the neighbours be likely to notice 20 people living in one house on a private executive estate?

15 hours ago, Barlow said:

Out for a walk last evening and saw more than the usual chaps of African sort of origin, with mobile phones, nice new clothes and the obligatory bright white trainers. But they could well be helping out at the hossy or whatever, or engineers and that. Strong after shave too. Might be looking for a local lass or two. Fair play to 'em.

14 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Next thing you know, as you walk down Strand Street they will be offering you a fake Rolex or a pair of sunglasses. Or a genuine Gucci handbag - not much use to me though. Or the sunglasses, at the moment.

Ha ha! Yer daft old racists!

Illegals brought in this way wont ever get to the Island. They'll get to England and just disappear over there. The people who trafficked them will hold their passports and other documents, they'll be put in crap accommodation, be made to work for long hours with low pay.

The reality of Modern Slavery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

Wouldn't the neighbours be likely to notice 20 people living in one house on a private executive estate?

Nah, they all the same don't they?  As long as they only enter and exit one at a time.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, GMOLY said:

So we have an undisclosed number of illegal immigrants here on our island.

15 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I thought we were throwing money at working age people to move here, or are these ones the wrong colour?

No just wrong paperwork

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Illegals brought in this way wont ever get to the Island. They'll get to England and just disappear over there. The people who trafficked them will hold their passports and other documents, they'll be put in crap accommodation, be made to work for long hours with low pay.

The reality of Modern Slavery.

That is an unfortunate possibility, and something which is embarrassing our government I'm told, in the wake of the King Gaming issues. 

They have found that people can easily enter the island, qualify for medical care and benefits (I'm not 100% on the benefits) which they can't in the UK. They stay here a while, then move to the UK and can qualify for NHS treatment etc. So we are a bit of a back door to the UK, this may be a bit of an embarrassment if it's on any scale.  

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

No just wrong paperwork

Although it amounts to the same thing.

Remember when we "couldn't" take refugees from Syria, yet when the war in Ukraine kicked off, all of a sudden we could take refugees from Ukraine but still not the ongoing Syrian crisis.

We're either short of working aged people or we're not.

41 minutes ago, Max Power said:

They have found that people can easily enter the island, qualify for medical care and benefits (I'm not 100% on the benefits) which they can't in the UK. They stay here a while, then move to the UK and can qualify for NHS treatment etc. 

Thats no different to all the South Africans who came here in the mid 1990s who used the IOM as a staging post to ultimately get UK residency.

And remember the King Gaming issue is only partly to do with immigration offenses. The better bit is to do with running a fake e-gaming operation and nobody asking any questions about that for around 5 years.  

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Although it amounts to the same thing.

Remember when we "couldn't" take refugees from Syria, yet when the war in Ukraine kicked off, all of a sudden we could take refugees from Ukraine but still not the ongoing Syrian crisis.

We're either short of working aged people or we're not.

But IOMG are looking for high earners to ensure tax & NI budgets are met.

Anyone who applies for a visa without a job offer has to go through a process that includes appointing an advocate to look after you whilst your application is processed. There's big money to be made out of that process, hence the black market for this kind of operation. I know I've seen correspondence to that effect.