Where are all the people

GMOLY

23 minutes ago, Radiolistner said:

Thats no different to all the South Africans who came here in the mid 1990s who used the IOM as a staging post to ultimately get UK residency.

What is the story there? That was when SA ended apartheid, so why would they come here to get UK residency? I thought that IOM Residency is effectively the same thing as UK residency?

47 minutes ago, Radiolistner said:

Thats no different to all the South Africans who came here in the mid 1990s who used the IOM as a staging post to ultimately get UK residency.

And remember the King Gaming issue is only partly to do with immigration offenses. The better bit is to do with running a fake e-gaming operation and nobody asking any questions about that for around 5 years.  

So they should have been aware of the possibility of abuse of the system then. 

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

This recent arrest seems to suggest fake certificates and job offers.  So it would appear that these immigrants actually haven't gone through the visa system at all.

I know the actual process to get the Visa is pretty complex.  It seems from what you are saying, that once they are here, that's when it gets lax and there are no checks to see if they are adhering to the terms of their application. 

Plus there are no checks at our 'border' when people arrive to check their Visas etc.  

The one I know about involves genuine manx paperwork and flakey jobs. Seems like it wasn't anyone's job to notice a massive increase in applications.

55 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Although it amounts to the same thing.

Remember when we "couldn't" take refugees from Syria, yet when the war in Ukraine kicked off, all of a sudden we could take refugees from Ukraine but still not the ongoing Syrian crisis.

We're either short of working aged people or we're not.

The Syrian refugees were very different from those from the Ukraine.  I had no issue with accepting Syrian refugees, as such, but only if the proper support processes and agencies were established to provide what was needed for people from a longstanding and particularly vicious conflict.  The worst outcome for those very vulnerable, and likely damaged, people would be bringing them to a place which did not have that support at a professional level and who were then effectively trapped.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Seems like it wasn't anyone's job to notice a massive increase in applications.

Well only when it makes us look good

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/number-of-visa-applications-increases-five-times-in-six-years/

It looks like they might only have been up on the back of a massive scam that nobody noticed in their efforts to find and publish data that made us look like a successful country that people wanted to move to. And nobody wondered why there were only 856 applications in 2018 compared to 4,457 last year because it aligned with all the bullshit in the Island Plan about new residents.

Edited by Radiolistner
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, Spyk3r said:

What is the story there? That was when SA ended apartheid, so why would they come here to get UK residency? I thought that IOM Residency is effectively the same thing as UK residency?

It was easier to get the right to come here and then flip into the UK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The worst outcome for those very vulnerable, and likely damaged, people would be bringing them to a place which did not have that support at a professional level and who were then effectively trapped.

The best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best is the wrong thing and the worst thing is nothing: Teddy Roosevelt.

We chose to do nothing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best is the wrong thing and the worst thing is nothing: Teddy Roosevelt.

We chose to do nothing.

Wasn't a donation made to DEC?

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Wasn't a donation made to DEC?

If so it would have been out of our existing budget. The UN suggests that developed nations such as ours give 0.7% of GDP to international aid, the last time I calculated it ours was well below 0.1% with no plans to increase it. The cost of getting the Ukrainians here was taken from the same budget.

We have a fairly shameful position in the world when it comes to giving a fuck about anyone else but ourselves.

32 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

If so it would have been out of our existing budget. The UN suggests that developed nations such as ours give 0.7% of GDP to international aid, the last time I calculated it ours was well below 0.1% with no plans to increase it. The cost of getting the Ukrainians here was taken from the same budget.

We have a fairly shameful position in the world when it comes to giving a fuck about anyone else but ourselves.

I don't disagree, but on Syrian refugees we did not have the support services for them.  We hardly have adequate mental health and counselling services for the ordinary population without throwing a lot of potentially very damaged people into the mix.

My concern was, and is, that very well meaning actions could result in real harm.  It is nothing to do with race or colour of skin, but how we could really help and not damage further. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I don't disagree, but on Syrian refugees we did not have the support services for them.  We hardly have adequate mental health and counselling services for the ordinary population without throwing a lot of potentially very damaged people into the mix.

My concern was, and is, that very well meaning actions could result in real harm.  It is nothing to do with race or colour of skin, but how we could really help and not damage further. 

I think if you asked any Syrian refugee what sort of a place they wanted to live in, then top of the list would be somewhere safe and peaceful. There are few places on the planet as safe and peaceful as the IOM.

We're not talking about hundreds of people here, but we could still have made a difference.

I appreciate what you're saying and it was echoed by some of our politicos at the time, although not one of them took the opportunity to call for us to meet our international obligations regarding overseas aid. It does make you wonder as to the integrity of the argument. 

2 hours ago, Radiolistner said:
2 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

Seems like it wasn't anyone's job to notice a massive increase in applications.

Well only when it makes us look good

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/number-of-visa-applications-increases-five-times-in-six-years/

It looks like they might only have been up on the back of a massive scam that nobody noticed in their efforts to find and publish data that made us look like a successful country that people wanted to move to. And nobody wondered why there were only 856 applications in 2018 compared to 4,457 last year because it aligned with all the bullshit in the Island Plan about new residents.

That news report isn't even making 'us' look good.  It was only triggered by Moorhouse asking a questionHow many applications are being considered by Immigration Services.  Allinson's reply is only available on audio because Hansard is now three months behind:

https://tynwald.scorchnetwork.com/?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202401-1373a.mp3

I've put the figures into a table, because of course I have:

Applications
  Visas Passports
2017-18 856 8600
2021-22 2251 5464
2023-24 4451 12197
1/04-8/05/24 283 1524

The other significant figure is that the Department dealing with this only had (in mid-May) six staff allocated of whom three had left due to over-work.  You suspect the number was exactly the same when they were dealing with 856 visas as having to process five times that.  Of course it may suit certain people for visas to get less scrutiny than they ought to, but the British who devolved the power to do so may be less impressed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That news report isn't even making 'us' look good.  It was only triggered by Moorhouse asking a questionHow many applications are being considered by Immigration Services.  Allinson's reply is only available on audio because Hansard is now three months behind:

https://tynwald.scorchnetwork.com/?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202401-1373a.mp3

I've put the figures into a table, because of course I have:

Applications
  Visas Passports
2017-18 856 8600
2021-22 2251 5464
2023-24 4451 12197
1/04-8/05/24 283 1524

The other significant figure is that the Department dealing with this only had (in mid-May) six staff allocated of whom three had left due to over-work.  You suspect the number was exactly the same when they were dealing with 856 visas as having to process five times that.  Of course it may suit certain people for visas to get less scrutiny than they ought to, but the British who devolved the power to do so may be less impressed.

It would be interesting to know if there was a correlating increase in school numbers, health registrations and NI/ITIP registrations for those years. To give an idea how many actually landed here

Although one month is hardly enough to indicate a likely trajectory for the current year, you could expect a number in excess of 3,000 for the full year.  But has the visa application process been recently curtailed?