Where are all the people

GMOLY

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Although one month is hardly enough to indicate a likely trajectory for the current year, you could expect a number in excess of 3,000 for the full year.  But has the visa application process been recently curtailed?

Pro-rata it's less than the previous year, at least for visas, but I suspect there's a lot of seasonality in the pattern of applications (especially for passports), so I decided not to project an annual figure based on just a month.

The only type of visas that has been formally curtailed was the Worker (Seasonal) Migrant one, but I suspect there may be a general tightening up.  There's been various bits of information in TYnwald WQs, so I'll see what that produces.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The other significant figure is that the Department dealing with this only had (in mid-May) six staff allocated of whom three had left due to over-work.  You suspect the number was exactly the same when they were dealing with 856 visas as having to process five times that.  Of course it may suit certain people for visas to get less scrutiny than they ought to, but the British who devolved the power to do so may be less impressed.

Yes I’d go with that. People traffickers are very good at exploiting weak links. The “overworked” people processing five times the applications must have been a very big green flag to any enterprising people trafficker looking for vulnerabilities and nobody seems to have even asked the question. Why are over 4,000 people all of a sudden moving to the IOM on VISAs?

I’d suggest though as this “influx” was inline with our aspirations to grow the economy and appear to be attractive to the internationally mobile people that’s exactly why nobody asked the question. 

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The 2017/2018 visa/passport ratio looks off compared to the other years.

[Nice columns headers, though]

It's certainly all over the place, but that's the one nearest to what I'd expect.  Most people need/have a passport (it's over 85% in the UK) if only for ID.  Add in lost/damaged ones and children's ones being renewed every five years not ten, then 8,000 a year seems plausible. the others seem too low and high.

But we've nothing written down and Allinson may have just misread something.

I don't think the passport data is of any use. Since it's  only showing  the passports issued in the IOM.

Anyone resident here  with a british passport can apply online for a passport from the UK ..

Most people I know are applying  online from the UK  as you have less issues with a UK issued British passport.

Some countries which issue e visa  do not recognise the IOM issued British passport..

Edited by mad_manx

Just now, mad_manx said:

I don't think the passport data is of any use. Since it's  only showing  the passports issued in the IOM.

Anyone resident here  with a british passport can apply online for a passport from the UK ..

Most people I know are applying  online as you have less issues with a UK issued British passport.

Yes, but that's only comparatively recently that it's become quicker to do it like that, it used to be quicker to go through Prospect Hill.  And having a Manx passport is only usually a problem is you're going somewhere a bit more unusual, so that's not a consideration that will affect most of the population.

But as I said the data does look a bit odd, and overworked offices tend not to keep good statistics.

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, but that's only comparatively recently that it's become quicker to do it like that, it used to be quicker to go through Prospect Hill.  And having a Manx passport is only usually a problem is you're going somewhere a bit more unusual, so that's not a consideration that will affect most of the population.

But as I said the data does look a bit odd, and overworked offices tend not to keep good statistics.

It's not new.  At least 3 or 4 years. 

It's easier to do this than applying over here .

If your passport photo is taken at a studio ( most people use Morrisons in douglas) they give you a code that you can put in the online application to the UK .

The countersignature/ references can be  done by email if needed.

Edited by mad_manx