Freedom Of Speech?

Lonan3

Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights states, "Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

Does the treatment of Walter Wolfgang - an 82-year-old activist who was manhandled out of the Labour Party conference after he heckled Jack Straw during his speech on Iraq and was later briefly detained under the Terrorism Act - suggest that the Labour Party and its conference stewards have no concern for the E. Convention, or is it simply that there can be no 'freedom of speech' in the midst of a war on terrorism?

It was absolutely shocking! That man had been through enough in his life but to man handled out of a party conference which, I thought, had one of its central tenets freedom of the individual and speech, was just inexcusable. The frail apologies merely compounded the felony in my mind. But the security was provided by a firm that usually provide security to night clubs!!? WTF!

Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights states, "Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

Does the treatment of Walter Wolfgang - an 82-year-old activist who was manhandled out of the Labour Party conference after he heckled Jack Straw during his speech on Iraq and was later briefly detained under the Terrorism Act - suggest that the Labour Party and its conference stewards have no concern for the E. Convention, or is it simply that there can be no 'freedom of speech' in the midst of a war on terrorism?

Im not certain that the conference stewards would constitute a "public authority" ... you may be off course a little on this one.

Walter Wolfgang is very well known for his extreme views and, it has to be said, he has been fortunate, over a great many years and on a great number of occasions, not to have been expelled from the Labour Party. He is currently involved with the "Stop the War Coalition", he has close contacts with members of extreme left wing organisations and has previously been involved with disruptive protests.

We shouldnt be surprised that Labour Party officials might be wary of his protests and move quickly to silence or eject him from the conference. ... he amounts to somewhat more than a heckler and I personally find it amazing he was ever granted admission in the first place.

It is, however, and notwithstanding his political views, and the views of those he associates with, extremely disturbing to learn Mr Wolfgang was subsequently detained under powers intended to combat terrorism

Mr Wolfgang's treatment under the Prevention of Terrorism Act has, at least, illuminated the semantics of that wonderful phrase "formenting hatred". For the avoidance of doubt ..heckling is now a terrorist act.

Edited not be construed as a defamatory statement

Stricly speaking, you are probably right BM, I think the conference would be classed as a private meeting and so the conveners can apply whatever rules they like (within the obvious bounds of legality). What offended me was the manhandling of a very old man by night club bouncers.

So his views are extreme, he is a member of the Labour Party, why shouldn't he voice his concerns? I agree that the use of the Terrorism Act to detain him is a worrying development but it almost serves as the justification for him taking his extreme stance (if you call objecting to a war without any basis in international law and morality, extreme). Without people like him standing up to the powers to be, how are we going to rein in the politicians who turn into megalomaniacs?

Mr Wolfgang's treatment under the Prevention of Terrorism Act has, at least, illuminated the semantics of that wonderful phrase "formenting hatred". For the avoidance of doubt ..heckling is now a terrorist act.

The Women's Institute better watch out next time they slow handclap any Labour MPs

(if you call objecting to a war without any basis in international law and morality, extreme).

There are numerous people , including me, who object to the Iraq war.

There are also political opportunists, such as the SWP, who are very selective as to which wars they might object to. Check out the membership of the "Stop the War Coalition" executive.

At the the very least, I'd say that the Labour party has to record the affair as a spectacular 'own goal!' In some respects, it's probably a well-deserved one for their attempt to stifle free speech by refusing to allow the debate on the contribution of the late Robin Cook to the party - knowing that there was a very good chance that it would reveal the considerable depth of opposition within it's own ranks to the current policy regarding Iraq.

Unfortunately, although the actions of Walter Wolfgang have stimulated some debate, they failed to do so in the conference forum and, ultimately, I'd be willing to bet that Tony B Liar was quite happy to apologise for the treatment of an old man by the stewards because it absolved him from the responsibility of denying the right of free speech and allowing any serious debate on Iraq.

Archived