What could possibly go wrong?..

Manx Bean

I do not see what the problem is. There is a backup system for when the primary system fails - the possibility of both failing at the same time is small.

However if the primary system is deliberately disabled, the backup system becomes the primary and there is no backup.

One would hope that they carried out full system tests on the backup before this event.

[And what happens after Pulrose is shut down and the interconnector fails and the wind is not blowing?]

[And I bet if any of the climate-change enthusiasts are in Nobles when there is a power cut, they will be grateful for the existence of a diesel engine.]

• Like 2

My understanding is that this is required because the main electricity supply to the hospital is 20 years old, and needs to be replaced.  It's been risk assessed, and planned for as best as it's possible to do.  Lots could go wrong, sure, but far less than would by just crossing our fingers that the mains supply remains fully functional for ever more.

• Like 5

for all you budding electricians out there, In terms of electrical systems, 'old' really isn't that old. The wiring of a residential home should be checked at least every 10 years, and depending on its use and its environment – it may need to be upgraded, even if it has only been in place for 20 years or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

for all you budding electricians out there, In terms of electrical systems, 'old' really isn't that old. The wiring of a residential home should be checked at least every 10 years, and depending on its use and its environment – it may need to be upgraded, even if it has only been in place for 20 years or so.

AFIAK the supply wires into my meter from the mea have been the same ones since  we moved in 45 years ago

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

The most basic PVC cable should last at least 25 years, you would hope that critical supplies in a newish hospital weren't wired in it.

In any case the time frames they have mentioned mean they're probably not rewiring anything, my guess would be upgrading the circuit protection and associated testing, reasonable enough for the age and use of the place.

It's also good that they're doing it in manageable chunks as well, rather than an all nighter, as anyone who remembers a similar job at Markwell House a few years ago will no doubt be aware.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Oh, please.