More apartments in Lake Road

Moghrey Mie

55 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

flood plains are prime planning locations over here, they just need to apply for under water parking and it will sail through planning.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

flood plains are prime planning locations over here, they just need to apply for under water parking and it will sail through planning.

Putting buildings on stilts in an area that floods every few years seems a reasonable idea to me. Electricity supply and sewage outlets would seem to be a problem which engineering might overcome. But I am not so sure about the residents getting flood damage insurance for their car and bicycle, though.

32 minutes ago, WTF said:

It is very easy to build on somewhere that has historically been a flood plain.  You just need to design the scheme appropriately.

Have you seen what they have done in Dubai?  It would blow tiny little Manx backward minds!!

24 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

It is very easy to build on somewhere that has historically been a flood plain.  You just need to design the scheme appropriately.

Have you seen what they have done in Dubai?  It would blow tiny little Manx backward minds!!

That's right. The Tesco is in the flood plain. It has never flooded. It's not rocket science. Just build them about 0.25m above the current ground level. 

What all the panic about. 

42 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Lived there and its a mess if you scratch below the shiny surface.  And ...Just because humans can doesn't mean they should.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Dubai? That's just sand isn't it?

How many building workers have died building what they have??? How much domestic slavery is there?

Not a good model for us?

I wasnt quoting it as model for society.

I was making the point that it’s really not hard with modern building methods and design to hold a bit of water back 

Edited by Roger Ram

55 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

I wasnt quoting it as model for society.

I was making the point that it’s really not hard with modern building methods and design to hold a bit of water back 

so they're not planning on holding water back. the mitigation is to advise residents to sign up to flood watch and to retreat to their apartments. any residents with vehicles are to be advised to move them to higher ground. Unlike Tesco which did use building methods (the sacrificial car park to protect the main building) Dandara intention is to accept it will flood and every so often raw shite will also leak out into the site and beyond.

if you read the report (and a common thing with a reliance on modeled simulations, it is assumed Tesco car park may flood. Whereas the reality is that it does at least annually. This leads me to think the simulation is a little conservative. 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Lots of docs on flood risk management included in the application.  Whatever you think of Dandara, they are hardly likely to build something they cannot sell. 

it reads like whilst they're the only show in town, the residents will accept being landlocked in their apartments every once in a while. Until either the emergency services rescue them, or the water/shite recedes. I guess if needs must, and though not at all ideal, you could like with that. not so sure about moving my car to a higher plane in winter storms, but never be my problem.