More apartments in Lake Road

Moghrey Mie

6 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

This one, I'm sure there are some tanks underneath or near this building. It may have been those beefy looking lamp posts that were ventilation, can't remember, old age is a terrible thing.

Screenshot_20240625-224422.png

There are huge holding tanks under that area and you're quite correct, those lamp standards are the ventilation towers for them, supposedly to raise ventilated smell above pedestrian level on the prom.

What I can't remember is whether they were only a temporary construction system for holding sewage whilst the rest of the Iris system (as it is) was constructed/installed (to include Meary Veg) or whether they form a current working part of that system. It may be that they are now part of an overflow holding system rather than the main processing system.

• Like 1

Correct on the original holding tank at Walpole and Bath place. The main tanks are under the Bottle neck and are huge and are also part of a stepped(one tank is full it then overflows into the next tanx)set of tanks that go under the promenade. Eight if I remember, all the way to the start of the sunken gardens memorial end. At one end of the main tank there is a overflow that dumps the sewage out through the sea wall if they become overwhelmed, just by the little Pier at lower Peveril steps. Why do you think the gates are locked these days, to discourage people rock poo ling.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

This one, I'm sure there are some tanks underneath or near this building. It may have been those beefy looking lamp posts that were ventilation, can't remember, old age is a terrible thing.

Screenshot_20240625-224422.png

That's correct. That pump station pump the sewage that is collected all along the prom and pumps it up old castletown road. There is an intermediate pump station at white ho. Not been known to flood afaik.

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

What does it matter?  It only really matters to those who buy, and if people are put off by the flood risk, they won't buy.  No one has advanced any arguments about  environmental damage (bat and bird boxes were included in the application), increased risk to neighbouring properties or even that they are unsightly.

Because if people buy or rent and then discover the flood risk (or that it's greater than they thought) then they're going to be straight on to their MHKs demanding expensive flood prevention measures paid for by the taxpayer.  With lots of sob stories and threats of legal action.  And our politicians and civil servants, who just love big projects to do something unnecessary, will give in and we'll all have to pay. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

What does it matter?  It only really matters to those who buy, and if people are put off by the flood risk, they won't buy.  No one has advanced any arguments about  environmental damage (bat and bird boxes were included in the application), increased risk to neighbouring properties or even that they are unsightly.

i've never seen a developer advertise that the houses you are looking at have been built on a flood plain but it's up to you to make a decision about buying . 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because if people buy or rent and then discover the flood risk (or that it's greater than they thought) then they're going to be straight on to their MHKs demanding expensive flood prevention measures paid for by the taxpayer.  With lots of sob stories and threats of legal action.  And our politicians and civil servants, who just love big projects to do something unnecessary, will give in and we'll all have to pay. 

No doubt they will be HNWI and must be placated, me I'd just have them rolled in shite and told there may or may not be a boat in the am/pm.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Which is pretty much what happened here, right?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3212278,-4.4764231,570m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu