More apartments in Lake Road

Moghrey Mie

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What does Fairfield school get used for these days? That's a decent sized plot in need of redevelopment that the government own.

Not sure if it is in use but there’s loads of government plots could be used , park road school site including bowling green pub, quarter bridge hotel plus large car park, Victoria road prison site etc. The latter is used during TT but prime housing land as cleared and surrounded by houses anyway.

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What does Fairfield school get used for these days? That's a decent sized plot in need of redevelopment that the government own.

That building could be used for ‘homeless’ and temporary accommodation units. It’s a shame as the building has had money spent on it prior to closure, but unfortunately the police I believe have played cops and robbers in there. 

21 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sure if it is in use but there’s loads of government plots could be used , park road school site including bowling green pub, quarter bridge hotel plus large car park, Victoria road prison site etc. The latter is used during TT but prime housing land as cleared and surrounded by houses anyway.

Sadly Park Road site will probably be derelict in many years to come. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

That building could be used for ‘homeless’ and temporary accommodation units. It’s a shame as the building has had money spent on it prior to closure, but unfortunately the police I believe have played cops and robbers in there. 

Is it fit for habitation?  Just because people are homeless doesn't mean they can be put in unsuitable/non-habitable accommodation. 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is it fit for habitation?  Just because people are homeless doesn't mean they can be put in unsuitable/non-habitable accommodation. 

It would probably require lots of money thrown at it, and if it’s in a really bad way, it could be demolished. 

54 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, same as quarter bridge hotel, been empty for years. Bowling green hotel may be suitable for short term homeless but don’t know if it’s been maintained 

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

No, same as quarter bridge hotel, been empty for years. Bowling green hotel may be suitable for short term homeless but don’t know if it’s been maintained 

Not even thinking about the state of the property but the internal design, facilities etc making it suitable for residential use.    It was a school, that was its use, not for habitation.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Contrast to Douglas Borough with the Market Hall which they sold and was revitalised into a busy establishment, funds for ratepayers and investment in the town centre.

23 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Contrast to Douglas Borough with the Market Hall which they sold and was revitalised into a busy establishment, funds for ratepayers and investment in the town centre.

Were they sold?

My recollection is that the Legion have a lease, and the other one was done up at considerable public expense ( first as an Art Space )  and then leased to Noa and the bike people and now Santander.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Were they sold?

My recollection is that the Legion have a lease, and the other one was done up at considerable public expense ( first as an Art Space )  and then leased to Noa and the bike people and now Santander.

Is that correct? It was sold in 2016 and news articles from the time appear to reference the new owner undertaking renovations 

56 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Is that correct? It was sold in 2016 and news articles from the time appear to reference the new owner undertaking renovations 

As far as I’m aware the Market Hall was still owned by the Corpie when Bikestyle and NOA opened in late summer/early autumn 2019, but if you’ve found something to the contrary please link.

I don’t think I can remember the Old Market Hall operating as such in my lifetime. It was, for many years, a penny arcade, then it was empty, then the Legion moved in.

The Market Hall, now Santander was always a miserable place as a market, Harry’s Caff excepted. By 2015 there was only the butchers and the Cafe left and works were done to allow IoM College Arts Department to move in. Think it was on a three year trial period.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As far as I’m aware the Market Hall was still owned by the Corpie when Bikestyle and NOA opened in late summer/early autumn 2019, but if you’ve found something to the contrary please link.

I don’t think I can remember the Old Market Hall operating as such in my lifetime. It was, for many years, a penny arcade, then it was empty, then the Legion moved in.

The Market Hall, now Santander was always a miserable place as a market, Harry’s Caff excepted. By 2015 there was only the butchers and the Cafe left and works were done to allow IoM College Arts Department to move in. Think it was on a three year trial period.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-tenants-to-fill-market-hall/ states new owner & land registry lists a registration from 2016 (I know that isn't conclusive and could be intra-public body without buying the documents, but does seem like it was sold off)