Julian Assange

I can't find the thread on Julian Assange which used to be on here. 

I've always felt his behaviour has been foolish and that he extended rather reduced his suffering with his shit smearing, date-raping shenanigans. 

His admission of guilt and sentencing for 5 years after locking himself up for well over twice that seems to confirm it. 

I always felt he should have gone straight to the US and fought his case proudly rather than hiding in a cupboard for years. 

There are important issues of the 1st amendment and governments hiding bad behaviour behind secrets legislation. Whistleblowers are brave and important to hold power to account.

Assange wasn't a whistleblower and I'm sceptical of his status as some sort of martyr. He's brought on many of his problems on himself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

I always felt he should have gone straight to the US and fought his case proudly rather than hiding in a cupboard for years. 

I suspect with the political climates of the times...he'd have got life and no parole.

Glad things have finally worked out for him. I was always one of his supporters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

I can't find the thread on Julian Assange which used to be on here. 

I've always felt his behaviour has been foolish and that he extended rather reduced his suffering with his shit smearing, date-raping shenanigans. 

His admission of guilt and sentencing for 5 years after locking himself up for well over twice that seems to confirm it. 

There are important issues of the 1st amendment and governments hiding bad behaviour behind secrets legislation. Whistleblowers are brave and important to hold power to account.

Assange wasn't a whistleblower and I'm sceptical of his status as some sort of martyr. He's brought on many of his problems on himself. 

I would have thought you liked him. 

Perhaps this was the game all along. Wait it out until it has died down enough to make a plea deal. Avoiding the fate of a cia bunker in the desert, which he certainly would have seen his days out in had he given himself up at the time.

Being placed on an interpol red list, as one of it's most wanted people, for the level of crime he was accused of in Sweden, says everything really. Not intending to minimise the severity of those crimes, but there must be thousands of people accused (innocent until proven guilty) each year around Europe. It was a tool to force a UK then US extradition.

Odd though, that these accusations would only appear when the alleged perpetrator releases some of the largest data dumps in history, allegedly showing war crimes being committed (and covered up) by Team America world police.

Odd.

Imo, the guy is a legend. Exhibiting levels of self sacrifice that is rare in these times.

Edited by HeteroErectus
Cleaned format