Alf leads from behind his leadership is non existent.

Fred the shred

Why now ?  why make impassioned speeches, which judging by the photo on the media most of the MHKs looked very underwhelmed, and ask for a referendum now ?   Surely if our great leader thought there should be a referendum on the Dignity in dying bill he could have brought this thought up before the Bill had reached this stage.   Perhaps he thought it would have been thrown out straightaway but as it gathered pace still no mention of a referendum now at the last gasp, no pun intended, he is getting desperate.    I really hope on Monday this suggestion gets dismissed.    He is no leader he just likes getting his own way.   The sooner the next election comes around the better.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Why now ?  why make impassioned speeches, which judging by the photo on the media most of the MHKs looked very underwhelmed, and ask for a referendum now ?   Surely if our great leader thought there should be a referendum on the Dignity in dying bill he could have brought this thought up before the Bill had reached this stage.   Perhaps he thought it would have been thrown out straightaway but as it gathered pace still no mention of a referendum now at the last gasp, no pun intended, he is getting desperate.    I really hope on Monday this suggestion gets dismissed.    He is no leader he just likes getting his own way.   The sooner the next election comes around the better.   

If you have listened to any of the debates you'll realise that he's desperate. He talks about no one having a mandate for Assited Dying calling it a fundamental constitutional change. When the reality is that no one will be forced to use the service but it could end someone's suffering. It's almost inhumane not to bring it in by forcing people to die slow agonising deaths. 

On the flipside, what is a fundamental constitutional change that will effect every aspect of Island life is his plan to grow the island population to 100,000, stretching already stretched services to the limit. Where was the referendum on that? The introduction of the Manx Care effected everyone - no referendum on that? Every single project the DoI dreams up that keeps draining the public purse - no referendum on those? 

It's simply a desperate attempt to kick the can down the road and rather than just coming out and saying "I don't agree with any of this so I'm going to vote against all of it". He and several other MHKs are doing everything they can to delay the bill. The detractors even try to talk over the MHKs in favour of the bill, it got to such ridiculous levels this week the speaker even threatened to have them removed from the keys. 

Finally, if you don't want this referendum to happen, contact your MHK before Monday because you can guarantee that detractors of the bill will be. There were quite a few MHKs wavering on this so don't be surprised if Cannan's half-baked idea is voted through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

19 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Julie Edge was weighing in shouting it should be binned when I was listening she really is a piece of work.

Yes, more faces than the Jubilee Clock. 

Whilst it can be said that the proposed laws for Assisted Dying has brought out impassioned debate, and I’m sure the majority of the public are in favour, as with MHKs, I don’t think conducting a referendum is kicking the can down the road. I would argue that this legislation is a major piece of law, which could impact on individuals and families. I would reckon that if a referendum was conducted, most Manx residents would support the proposed legislation. However if those who are against the legislation, and their majority view wins the referendum, then it’s a democratic exercise, which has to be respected. 

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

Cannan is a pound shop Tory Boy and Julie Edge is a pub tribute act Nadine Dorries.

Referenda are only ever suggested when someone wants to kick the can down the road. It’s disgraceful really, but to be expected from Alfie.

it backfired on cameron.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, WTF said:
38 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Cannan is a pound shop Tory Boy and Julie Edge is a pub tribute act Nadine Dorries. Referenda are only ever suggested when someone wants to kick the can down the road. It’s disgraceful really, but to be expected from Alfie.

it backfired on cameron

Arguably, it backfired on the country more than on Cameron personally (Lord Cameron, Foreign Secretary, etc).

Edited by Jarndyce
  • Like 5

On 6/28/2024 at 10:38 PM, Thomas Dalby said:

It’s actually pretty simple. If it’s Alf’s govt policy you don’t need a referendum. If it’s not - and Alf disagrees with it - you do.

On 6/29/2024 at 7:21 AM, Ham_N_Eggs said:

On the flipside, what is a fundamental constitutional change that will effect every aspect of Island life is his plan to grow the island population to 100,000, stretching already stretched services to the limit. Where was the referendum on that? The introduction of the Manx Care effected everyone - no referendum on that? Every single project the DoI dreams up that keeps draining the public purse - no referendum on those? 

It's simply a desperate attempt to kick the can down the road and rather than just coming out and saying "I don't agree with any of this so I'm going to vote against all of it". He and several other MHKs are doing everything they can to delay the bill.  

Regardless of one's opinion of UK party politics, it is evident that their politicians cannot afford to take the UK public for granted. Consequently, they are actively seeking to gain the support of undecided voters. In comparison, the arrogance and indifference for public opinion displayed by our politicians is striking, e.g., the tagline 'the Government is listening to you' from the roadshow was quickly forgotten. The inability of our elected representatives to deliver on their promises is a clear weakening of our democracy. Most MHKs go along with whatever the CM and CoMin propose, hoping that some of their own pet-projects (which may or may not be in the island’s best interest) might eventually see the light of day.

IMHO, the Island’s political system is no longer fit for purpose. There needs to be radical change. The debate should be about the best way of achieving this change, rather than whether we need Government plus an Official Opposition (we do!), etc. As a couple of first steps, this country (with a population of only 85,000) must elect the CM and have a direct say over the composition and functionality of the Legislative Council. Until this happens, there is little chance of material positive initiatives being implemented (if Chief Minister disagrees).

• Thanks 1

Can someone tell me what Alf has positively achieved in his 3 years of so called leadership? Me and my family are all in his constituency and he is not interested in his constituents at all, he is too busy fighting fires in most government departments. He will not be getting any of my families votes if he is brazen enough to stand again at the next general election!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2