Alf leads from behind his leadership is non existent.

13 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I think we should pay for parking behind government office even though I work from home a couple of days a week.  I think a paper is being prepared with options. 

Mr Peters, perhaps you may be given some credit for replying on this forum, but in my opinion your response is inadequate.

There was a parking order in place before the arrival of Covid. I assume that Tynwald voted for it. It would seem to me that no further discussion is needed.

That order was overruled by Will Greenhow because of Covid - although I have not yet seen a rational explanation of this.

The Covid epidemic is long gone.

As one person overruled the Tynwald decision, it seems logical to me that one person can un-overrule the decision.

More than a year ago Chris Thomas asked for a parking order to be drawn up:

https://gef.im/news/politics/tynwald-to-pay-for-parking-33013/

Nothing has happened. In response to an email from me, Allinson said that he would write a letter. Your response is in a similar vein. Saying something but achieving nothing - and, unfortunately, giving the impression that achieving nothing is the intention.

My rough estimate of the lost income is over £1,000,000. I think that most people, obviously excluding MHKs and Civil Servants in receipt of free parking, would think it worth making a bit of effort to collect that money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fuck all reserved parking off and put in place a pay and display, therefore the right honerable get to rub shoulders with the great unwashed or however they think of the greater Manx public and their dirty stinking (all we can afford) oil guzzling Ford prefect.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Fuck all reserved parking off and put in place a pay and display, therefore the right honerable get to rub shoulders with the great unwashed or however they think of the greater Manx public

The Right Honourables do not park in the average run-of-the-mill bomb-site car park. They park in an underground car park protected by electrically controlled security gates.

You usually pay extra for that....

I know for a fact that social workers working in Murray House have to park on the street with 2 hours parking and regulary get tickets as they are out dealing with things so can't always move their cars,so not everyone gets free parking

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I know for a fact that social workers working in Murray House have to park on the street with 2 hours parking and regulary get tickets as they are out dealing with things so can't always move their cars,so not everyone gets free parking

Their bosses should not be letting them "pop out" to move their cars. The employees should pay for all day parking in Chester Street like most other people who do not have free parking have to do. In an 8 hour working day they will be "popping out" 4 times to move the car or, more likely, change the parking disc. At 10 minutes per "pop" (which is conservative if they drive around looking for new spaces) , 4 times a day for 5 days a week is over 3 hours work lost to the taxpayer. Simply not acceptable in my view - even ignoring the rights and wrongs of changing discs or moving cars to comply with their own employers regulations!!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

Their bosses should not be letting them "pop out" to move their cars. The employees should pay for all day parking in Chester Street like most other people who do not have free parking have to do. In an 8 hour working day they will be "popping out" 4 times to move the car or, more likely, change the parking disc. At 10 minutes per "pop" (which is conservative if they drive around looking for new spaces) , 4 times a day for 5 days a week is over 3 hours work lost to the taxpayer. Simply not acceptable in my view - even ignoring the rights and wrongs of changing discs or moving cars to comply with their own employers regulations!!   

And you are not supposed to do either are you? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

And you are not supposed to do either are you? 

You're not supposed to change disc or return within a certain time frame but it's OK they don't do either they go onto a different street 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You're not supposed to change disc or return within a certain time frame but it's OK they don't do either they go onto a different street 

i think they can stay on the same street as long as they don't stay in the same spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WTF said:

i think they can stay on the same street as long as they don't stay in the same spot.

I believe that you cannot return to the same parking zone - it is somewhere on the gov. website, but I cannot find it now.

List of parking zones:

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/parking-and-parking-permits/disc-parking-zones

But then again, there are plenty of people who think that the white bit of a mini-roundabout is the bit you must drive over.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I believe that you cannot return to the same parking zone - it is somewhere on the gov. website, but I cannot find it now.

List of parking zones:

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/parking-and-parking-permits/disc-parking-zones

But then again, there are plenty of people who think that the white bit of a mini-roundabout is the bit you must drive over.

you are correct but IIRC somebody challenged this in court years ago and the judge said it was ok to stay in the same zone , i was told this by a traffic warden/parking controller , maybe the law has been reviewed since then, this was around 10 years ago.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

you are correct but IIRC somebody challenged this in court years ago and the judge said it was ok to stay in the same zone , i was told this by a traffic warden/parking controller , maybe the law has been reviewed since then, this was around 10 years ago.

That leads to the possibility of two people, who arrive early and get prime adjoining spots,  doing a quick paso doble every two hours. If they are Civil Servants they are probably allowed a smoke-break every two hours. [If you don't smoke, are you allowed a smoke break?]

Isn't amazing that so many of our politicians and civil servants don't show the rest of the population a little "leadership" and use our plentiful public transport to get to work?

As the rest of that population are continually urged to on environmental and congestion grounds.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I know for a fact that social workers working in Murray House have to park on the street with 2 hours parking

Manx Care have an entire section of Chester Street reserved for their use, on the right hand side on level 2. Social workers have passes for it.

So why aren’t social workers using it? Too few spaces, or is it because it’s a bit of a walk to Chester Street?

Edited by Ringy Rose

Of course social workers stay in their offices all day, never leaving to see families, attend meetings, go to court, respond to crises, visit schools or healthcare settings, so they have no need to access cars during the day, have they? MHKs, however..,

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Isn't amazing that so many of our politicians and civil servants don't show the rest of the population a little "leadership" and use our plentiful public transport to get to work?

As the rest of that population are continually urged to on environmental and congestion grounds.

I recall Juan Watterson using the bus....

• Haha 1