IOM Referendums a suggestion

16 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Ashford wriggled out of voting and was elsewhere I gather; maybe he was at South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLAM) - they have previous for employing people who are vindictive and self serving 🤔

How could I miss his absence? 

Edited by Gladys
To make sense
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

The 11 MHKs who wanted to see a referendum were: Rob Callister, Alfred Cannan, Claire Christian, Ann Corlett, Julie Edge, Tim Glover, Kate Lord-Brennan, Jason Moorhouse, Andrew Smith, Chris Thomas and John Wannenburgh.

Rob's self interest showing there. Wouldn't want to lose any of those carefully farmed grannies :lol:

Edited by Sheldon
  • Thanks 1

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/calls-for-referendum-on-assisted-dying-law-defeated/

There is a quote from Rob Callister in the above piece. He states 'I was very much in support of this referendum, but the more and more I'm hearing the answers, it seems to be throwing this into the long grass.'

He then goes on to vote for the referendum....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Can an expert on these matters tell me whether CoMin members are able to vote with their conscience, or if they are bound by collective responsibility? 

They vote entirely with their conscience on this.  Only Lord-Brennan voted with Cannan, all the other seven voted against his referendum.  This was one of the very things that made a referendum complicated to arrange because CoMin could have a collective function under the current arrangements.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They vote entirely with their conscience on this.  Only Lord-Brennan voted with Cannan, all the other seven voted against his referendum.  This was one of the very things that made a referendum complicated to arrange because CoMin could have a collective function under the current arrangements.

And going from the vote today Comin voted against the CM. 

• Like 1

I seem to recollect Andrew Smith changing his mind and people complaining.   Well thank you for posting the list of who voted for what and it didn’t surprise me one bit the MHKs who are the dead wood, in my humble opinion, did not disappoint.   If MHKs who have had all the information to hand cannot make a decision how do they expect the general public to.    They are inept and not fit to serve.    I am speaking of the referendum vote not the Bill vote.      They are truly shameful.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Curious that lord-brennan voted with Alf, I wouldn't have imagined they shared political views

• Like 1
  • Haha 2